• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I need to be schooled on ltmv rear tarp and bows

Rene M

I want to buy a set up but what should i know? Is there a better one worse one? do all the bows and tarps work with each other? How do you tell them all apart?
I have found bits of information for answers but nothing conclusive.
Help?

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
And now i sound illiterate. Its been one of those days.
Been there, done that, got the Tee shirt!
Most beds are the 8x12 some are long wheel base(longer, not sure by how much), The two are not compatible lmtv vs. mtv.

The first cover I used was for an MTV dump. When installed on my deuce, it would cover the truck to where the windshield met the hood.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
If its just the tarp, contact mwmules and ask if he still has any frames. He had the correct "bow system" not too long ago. I call it a bow system cause your truck uses a tube structure, not "bows" in the classic sense.

lmtv cargo cover.jpg

Last edited:

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are also 2 different types of "bows" an older style (like in Gimpy's picture) where the uprights are 1 solid piece of pipe and a newer style where the uprights can be disassembled into multiple pieces. If you can, you want to get the newer style. It's much easier to put together, take apart, and you can stow the entire bow set up in the storage compartments whereas the older style you can take the horizontal pieces apart and store but the uprights just stack at the front of the bed. Which would you prefer?

The tarps work on both so just make sure you're getting a 12' tarp vs a 14' tarp.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Foward compartment of the bed....... Hhhmmmmm i think i have some black pipe in there i had no clue what it was for.
That would be very fortuitous if it were a complete set. However, if it's from the older style all you'll have are the horizontal pieces and still need to find the uprights.

Rene M

Man, is it really that simple? Im on the Eastern site looking at the frame and i can build that in a few hours... They are asking $995 for that chunk of black pipe?????

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Man, is it really that simple? Im on the Eastern site looking at the frame and i can build that in a few hours... They are asking $995 for that chunk of black pipe?????
Depends on how original you want to be. I do a lot of shows and living history events so I like mine to be as close to "in service" as possible. Other people are "pimp my ride" so do what works to get the job done. You'll find a wide spectrum of folks on here from the "don't change a thing" to lower, jack it up, bob it, stretch it, put a Hemi in it, etc etc. It comes down to this - it's your truck. Do whatever you want and if someone doesn't like it, tough juju beans.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If your pipes are steel, those are pieces of the first gen bow system. The second gen improved system uses aluminum pipe. The first gen system is so huge it would cost a fortune to ship motor freight. Red River Parts has these in New Boston TX so you could make a quick run up. The second gen system for the LMTV does not come up for sale very often. I am thinking you could cut down a MTV gen 2 version easily, these appear for sale more often.

Rene M

Depends on how original you want to be. I do a lot of shows and living history events so I like mine to be as close to "in service" as possible. Other people are "pimp my ride" so do what works to get the job done. You'll find a wide spectrum of folks on here from the "don't change a thing" to lower, jack it up, bob it, stretch it, put a Hemi in it, etc etc. It comes down to this - it's your truck. Do whatever you want and if someone doesn't like it, tough juju beans.
Im more of a practical use kinda of guy. I could not find new door handles on the inside so i used billet ones from a street rod. Why you ask... they work. I put a rear camera in so i could make sure i dont run over my 21 month old son backing up. o im not going for the " stock look" Just functional .

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Im more of a practical use kinda of guy. I could not find new door handles on the inside so i used billet ones from a street rod. Why you ask... they work. I put a rear camera in so i could make sure i dont run over my 21 month old son backing up. o im not going for the " stock look" Just functional .
I've got a back up camera too. I'm all for practical.

gottaluvit

The newer bow "system" has spring loaded push pins that lock the system together (somewhat) and the tubes are lighter gauge steel. The old "system" has plain 1" pipes for horizontal pieces and must be strapped together to stay in place. They both come with the straps when new. I had the new compactable version of the frame/bow "system" at Findlay but had no takers. Have since gotten two M1082s, so I am glad it didn't sell.

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The newer bow "system" has spring loaded push pins that lock the system together (somewhat) and the tubes are lighter gauge steel. The old "system" has plain 1" pipes for horizontal pieces and must be strapped together to stay in place. They both come with the straps when new. I had the new compactable version of the frame/bow "system" at Findlay but had no takers. Have since gotten two M1082s, so I am glad it didn't sell.
I think this is the same setup that 98G schooled me on when he was moving out of Tucson. :mrgreen:

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I have both kinds but shipping from KC is a deal breaker. If it is heavy pipe it is the old school frame single piece bow, muti piece bow = new style.
older heavyheavy.jpg newer 3 piece lighta.JPG $200 a set and local pick up only, sorry.
Both sets I have are made of steel.

Last edited:

gottaluvit

There are also 2 different types of "bows" an older style (like in Gimpy's picture) where the uprights are 1 solid piece of pipe and a newer style where the uprights can be disassembled into multiple pieces. If you can, you want to get the newer style. It's much easier to put together, take apart, and you can stow the entire bow set up in the storage compartments whereas the older style you can take the horizontal pieces apart and store but the uprights just stack at the front of the bed. Which would you prefer?

The tarps work on both so just make sure you're getting a 12' tarp vs a 14' tarp.
I really dont know how one could fit the uprights in the stowage area as this pic shows my stowage area full from just the horizontal pieces. Unless the trucks have a different stowage area than the trailers.

20161001_193031.jpg

Rene M

I have both kinds but shipping from KC is a deal breaker. If it is heavy pipe it is the old school frame single piece bow, muti piece bow = new style.
older heavy newer 3 piece $200 a set and local pick up only, sorry.
Both sets I have are made of steel.

What kind of price tags on them?

Last edited by a moderator:

scottmandu

I really dont know how one could fit the uprights in the stowage area as this pic shows my stowage area full from just the horizontal pieces. Unless the trucks have a different stowage area than the trailers.
there are stowage places for bow's on the front of the bed.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks