• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I need your advice - Chevy or Dodge

Oerthedge21

So I know this is a question with a lot of possible answers and bias, but I wanted to see what you guys would say to this question as I am in the market for truck and have found some deals on both of these trucks but dont really know which would be a better idea:

Which truck would be better overall for a daily driver and mods such as a lift and maybe motor work/swap, a 94 or earlier dodge M880/w350, or an 84-95 M1008?

Last edited by a moderator:

dependable

Between those two choices, you need to decide if you want the economy of a diesel, or the performance of gasoline engine.

The mfg dates on the trucks you cited are a little off, might want to do a little more research.

cucvrus

My opinion the CUCV is the better of the 2. the Dodge is not as reliable and I have had M880's in the past as plow trucks they were under powered and trouble some by comparison. They did not last as long on the job and were always in need of major repairs. This my experience and your out come may be different. You ask for input and opinions I shared my experiences.

Gottlos

Former 95B Ft Sam Houston
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Second try. I would have to go with the Chevy. Chevrolet produced the same trucks for almost twenty years. Parts are plentiful and usually inexpensive. There is also a ton of interchangeability between the pick ups, Blazers, Suburbans and even the vans. Chevy pick ups also fall into the category of "shoebox". Just about any drive train will drop into them. Small block, big block, diesel or diesel conversion have all been done to these trucks. Also the axles can be swapped out with minor mounting adjustments.

sweetk30

gm 1ton = dana 60 front / Detroit locker rear / LOTS more parts avalible .

dodge m880 = 3/4 dana 44 front and if I recall no locking hubs uni bearing ? / lot less parts avalible just in production no's stand point .

Oerthedge21

Thank you all, I was thinking chevy would probably be better, and yes I know my dates were a little off im not too keen on dates and what-not

camoyj7

94 dodge would be my first choice. It has the p7100 pumped Cummins 5.9. Best bang for the buck. 93-88 w350's w/ 5.9 Cummins are nice too. Out of the M880 vs M1008 the Chevy is a better built truck in my opinion.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks