• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

i need your input please on 5 tons

sweetk30

i have been reading info in my state for driving and towing with bigger gvw vehicles. if i stay under 26,000 i will be fine with std licence and no air brake endorsement needed.

i have been looking at 2.5 tons but looked at 5 tons as well. my questions is if i get a 5 ton do thay still hold up good when bobed like the 2.5 tons are all the time.

and could i pull a good size trailer with one. say in the 10-12k range for weight and not be stressing the truck/brakes/driveline to much. this trailer would be a once a few month thing if anything. not every day or weekend.

and would the 5 ton be to much for my begining in to the 6x6/4x4 truck seen.

any good truck #s i should look for . i would like a frt winch at min. thanks guys good site with tons of super info and people. :lol:

poppop

My first big truck was an M813 5 ton. Everything on a 5 ton is much heavier than the same components on a Duece so I would think it would be stronger when bobbed. As far as the trailer goes the truck would handle that weight range good but I would get a trailer with air brakes. The truck is already set up for straight air brakes and you stopping power would be a lot greater and safer. The brakes are the weak point on Dueces and 5 tones because the Master cylinder is single stage and if you lose any componet you have no brakes. If you bob the truck you also lose one axle to help stop you. You would also be ahead on the trailer if it had at least one axle with double brake chambers, that way if you lose air pressure the brakes lock from spring pressure and you stop before you find out you have no brakes.

CGarbee

Just remember that you most likely (I put this in because NY may have some variences in classifications...) will need a Class A operator's permit if your trailer has a GVW of 10,001 or more.

A "standard" operator's permit is good for a vehicle that weighs 26,000 lbs or less pulling a trailer that is 10,000 lbs or less. A "Class B" is for a vehicle that weights 26,001 lbs or more pulling a trailer that is 10,000 lbs or less. A "Class A" is required with a trailer that is 10,001 lbs or more requardless of the towing vehicles weight.

Most states will issue a non-commercial Class A or Class B permit to folks. It's that same exam, but you don't have the medical card issues that you have with a CDL. You also can't haul anything for hire with a non-CDL (since it is a non-commercial permit).

Since the trucks that you are mentioning are air over hydrualic brakes, you won't need an airbrake endorsement. As stated, both sizes are setup with air supply for trailers (so you can run a trailer with air over hydrualic or full air brakes).

Enjoy.

mangus580

NY recently changed how they list it...

A Standard License is good for towing over 10,000 pounds IF your Gross Combonation Weight Rating is less than 26,000.

so.... go figure, I can tow my 10k dozer on a 4k trailer behind a 1 ton dually... but not the deuce! hmmmmm sounds fishy to me!

As to the GVW issue on a 5 ton vs 2.5 ton, if you are going to bob it, your GVW will change anyway....

beaubeau

Hello Mangus580! How do U figure U can Haul 10k on a 4k TRL.? I got a 20,000K Trl and thats Gross Wt. I am pulling it with my 1ton Chevy Duramax and I do hope the Gross Wt with a Deuce on it doesn't max out. I will be picking up the Deuce at Chambersburg on Fri.AM, I Hope!!!??? I have hauled my friends Skidder a short distence and it weighs 26,000. Plenty of Power, but slow at stopping, especially with the Trl. brakes inopperable! I did hoock up the brakes to make the long trip a little safer. Good Luck ,Phil

CGarbee

Re: RE: i need your input please on 5 tons

mangus580 said:

A Standard License is good for towing over 10,000 pounds IF your Gross Combonation Weight Rating is less than 26,000.

so.... go figure, I can tow my 10k dozer on a 4k trailer behind a 1 ton dually... but not the deuce! hmmmmm sounds fishy to me!

As to the GVW issue on a 5 ton vs 2.5 ton, if you are going to bob it, your GVW will change anyway....
Geez, that's not good IMHO...
I cringe as it is when I see some combinations running down the road on a flatbed behind a pickup in my area...

Glad I put in the disclaimer to check the local law... :)

mangus580

CGarbee said:
mangus580 said:

Geez, that's not good IMHO...
I cringe as it is when I see some combinations running down the road on a flatbed behind a pickup in my area...

Glad I put in the disclaimer to check the local law... :)
I think the reason they made the change was more for Camper Trailers & such, but I am not sure. I know it helped out a lot of people moving tractors, small dozers, etc.

ida34

CGarbee said:
Most states will issue a non-commercial Class A or Class B permit to folks. It's that same exam, but you don't have the medical card issues that you have with a CDL. You also can't haul anything for hire with a non-CDL (since it is a non-commercial permit).

Enjoy.
Actually, most states do not require anything but a regular driver's license to move any GVWR vehicle combination if it is not operated commercially. In other words people can use big trucks for personal use. California has non-commercial class A but this is the only one I know of. I have actually read the law for MI, TN, CO, and CA. I think NY just requires personal use large vehicle drivers to meet all the requirements and get a CDL no matter what but this is the only state I have seen that does this. If anyone else thinks their state is different and they have actually read the law please PM me a link to the law with the statute number covering definitions of Commercial Vehicle and CDLs. If I ever get off my butt to do the research I am going to write an article with details about requirements from all the states. It usually takes about a couple of hours or so to research one state so if you have links please forward them.

ecostruction

Steel Soldiers Supporter

ida34 said:
CGarbee said:

Enjoy.
Actually, most states do not require anything but a regular driver's license to move any GVWR vehicle combination if it is not operated commercially. In other words people can use big trucks for personal use. California has non-commercial class A but this is the only one I know of. I have actually read the law for MI, TN, CO, and CA. I think NY just requires personal use large vehicle drivers to meet all the requirements and get a CDL no matter what but this is the only state I have seen that does this. If anyone else thinks their state is different and they have actually read the law please PM me a link to the law with the statute number covering definitions of Commercial Vehicle and CDLs. If I ever get off my butt to do the research I am going to write an article with details about requirements from all the states. It usually takes about a couple of hours or so to research one state so if you have links please forward them.
Appears as though in PA you need a Class A CDL to move a trailer or vehicle weighing more than 10,000 lbs. Though the way the remainder of the code reads, one could assert that it's legal to move a deuce behind a deuce as an "emergency". Towed motor vehicle does not need to be registered.

Link here: http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/vehicle_code/index.shtml

RE: Re: RE: i need your input please on 5 tons

I use to be in the RV industry.I am pretty shure that is why they did it.I always questioned how a 88 year old man can drive a 33,000 pound motor home with air brakes on a regular drivers license.no air indorsment needed.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Okay here are the basic rules for Texas. Class refers to the type of vehicle that you may operate. The higher ratings allow you to operate anything in that class or lower (ie, with an A you can also operate B and C).
If you are driving for hire, you have to have a CDL in one of the rating classes and you get to pay all the high fees. If you are doing your own private hauling and no one is paying you, like a farm truck or your MV, you get a regular DL with the needed class rating and just pay regular DL fees (It is called an “ag exemption”).
You do have to take the driving test in a vehicle of the class category you are getting, and the vehicle must pass an on-site safety inspection, have a current inspection sticker attached, and be registered. That means you can’t go down in your Historic Vehicle inspection-exempt Deuce to take the test, they will not let you, no matter how much you argue. You’re going to have to rent or borrow a truck. (Right Sarge and Jeff? (':evil:')).

If your vehicle has straight air brakes, you have to pass a short test on that topic and get an air brake endorsement.

Class A- allows you to operate vehicles which tow trailers or other vehicles with a GVWR over 10,000 pounds.

Class B- allows you to operate single vehicles with a GVWR of 26,001 lbs or more OR a gross combination weight rating (GCWR) of 26,001 lbs. or more, towing trailers/vehicles rated at 10,000 pounds GVWR or less.

Class C- allows you to operate vehicles under 26,001 lbs. GVWR; that are designed to transport 16 or more persons including the driver; or that carry 15 or less people (including the driver) transporting children to or from school and home regularly for compensation, or carry hazardous materials in amounts requiring placarding.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks