• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I ran out of DIESEL

M1009 Fiend

My fuel gauge is broken so i wasnt paying attention and she died on me going down the freeway.aua I manged to coast off and make it into a chevron parking lot.

So I was thinking that it might have been the fuel pump died but after checking my numbers I figured that i might have run out of fuel.

Im hoping some one can give some advice on proper bleeding for the whole system. I would rather not burn up my starter to get her going again.

Thanks for any and all advice.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Its all covered in the tech manuals.

TM 9-2320-289-20

Section 3-17 Fuel Filter Maintenance

You bleed the filter like above, then if needed you loosen the injector lines at each injector and crank until you have fuel. One at a time.

It does take awhile and you had better have fully charged batteries.

Last edited:

M1009 Fiend

Warthog- I found the bleeding for the fuel filter, but i have no clue how to bleed the injector lines. I could not find a section in the TM that covers how do bleed the injector lines.

Do you always have to bleed injector lines or is it possible to start with out bleeding the injector lines?

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Warthog- I found the bleeding for the fuel filter, but i have no clue how to bleed the injector lines. I could not find a section in the TM that covers how do bleed the injector lines.

Do you always have to bleed injector lines or is it possible to start with out bleeding the injector lines?

Most of the time you will not need to bleed the injector lines. Most of the air will be between the tank and the fuel filter.

If you need to bleed them:

TM 9-2320-289-34 Section 3-27 talks about replacing the injector lines and in the last paragraph says to

"Crank engine for 10-15 seconds, then wait 1 minute for starter motor to cool. Repeat until fuel is observed at all fittings. Tighten fittings to 20 ft lbs."

They way I do it is to take an open end wrench (7/8" maybe, dont recall) and loosen the first line at the injector on the side of the engine. Crank the motor until fuel starts dripping. Retighten and move to the next one. If the engine starts you can leave it running as you bleed the rest of them. The -34 troubleshooting section says to do this to find a miss in the engine.

Crash_AF

I've never had to bleed the injectors on any of my CUCVs after running them out of fuel or changing the filter. Bleed the filter block to get fuel up that high, then just crank it in 15 second intervals until it starts. It might run rough for the first minute or so as all the remaining air is purged, but that's all it took.

BTW, the new WD-40 formula is non-flammable, so it won't work as starting fluid like it used to.

Later,
Joe

67_C-30

Would an electronic fuel pump save the starter. :confused:

I have a little junky electric pump that I've used many times to bleed the systems, so it will help. I have taken rubber hose coming from the tank off the mech pump and hooked the the electric pump inline, and looped it back into the mechanical pump. I straightwire it to the battery and open the bleeder. Usually in a few seconds, it has all the air out of the system. Once you fuel pump up to the filter, you can take the electric pump off and hook the mech pump back up (it doesn't get much air in when you do this). Usually you just have to spin it a little, and it will crank., There's usually some spitting and coughing for a few seconds, and then it will even out. I leave it running and go back and bleed the filter again to get the little bit of air out that gets in when you take the electric pump off.

Last edited:
I keep a bottle of Rosanol lighter fluid for the same purpose as the aforementioned WD-40. A diesel mechanic friend of mine told me it is wetter than ether, so it is easier on the engine. It doesn't take much - just a squirt, crank it, let it rund and die, then another squirt and crank, and maybe a third squirt, and she should run enough to rev her up a little and do the throttle bleed method described by one of our astute members earlier.

M1009 Fiend

Thanks for all the help guys. i just bleed the fuel filter, hooked everything back up cranked again for 15 seconds and she caught.
Rand bumpy for about 5 mins and smooth and good to go.

Thanks again

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for all the help guys. i just bleed the fuel filter, hooked everything back up cranked again for 15 seconds and she caught.
Rand bumpy for about 5 mins and smooth and good to go.

Thanks again

Good job!!![thumbzup] Glad to hear that.