• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

i think i broke my winch...i broke it.. please help

Hotrodherman

well i did some thing stupid. i didnt have anyone watching the winch. and the cable must have started to wind to one side ripped the top plate off the winch and the cable wound next to the drum and pushed it apart jammed the handle into the grill shifted the hole cage over. oh no!:cry:
Please help

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Only thing I can think of suggesting is to unwind it and assess the damage. You OK?

tm america

i'm guessing you didnt read the manuals on use of the winch ?Not good ..i would probably pull the winch off the truck then unwind the cable .Then see if you can pull it back together and remake the top and back plate and hope like he77 you din't mess anything up on the inside ?

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
i'm guessing you didnt read the manuals on use of the winch ?Not good ..i would probably pull the winch off the truck then unwind the cable .Then see if you can pull it back together and remake the top and back plate and hope like he77 you din't mess anything up on the inside ?
I agree with TM-I'd try and remove the winch form the truck and unspool the cable. Remember to put a piece of plywood between the radiator and the winch to protect the radiator when you remove it. These winches can move around a lot when hanging on an engine hoist.

Plus, once it's off, if you need to rebuild it, you are ready to go.

Unspool the cable with light resistance.2cents
I don't think I'd try that. Clintogf got a winch deuce from Ft. Rucker and the winch cable was all jacked up, with a bunch of loose cable spooled out and wrapped around the bumper and the cable lightly tangled (much less than the poster above) and I tried carefully spooling it out, only to have it wrap up and bind itself up. I ended up having to remove the rear and top plate and pry the wire rope loose with a pry bar. I made a big job a lot bigger.

Much better just to slowly try and untangle it with pry bars and screwdrivers.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
If the cable pulled into the side BETWEEN the drum and the end case, may not be able to unspool it, may have to CUT it and pull it out peice by peice, there is a good chance that the cable is pinched, crushed, and cut anyway being PULLED into where it is as Im guessing that you DIDNT stop winching till the winch STOPPED,

Hotrodherman

Yea I didn't have anyone watching it. It was a stupid move. So do you thni I should just unbolt one side of the winch to let it kick over and untangle the cable. Or should I just fire up the fire wrench and cut it all out?
Thanks everyone

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
you are going to have to pull the winch and pull the side case off anyway just to check the seal and look for damage, might be able to get the cable off once the case is off. still check the cable for broken wires and pinching or crushing

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
While I somewhat agree with removing the winch, de cabling a winch laying on the ground is tricky when the cable is not birdnested, even worse in this situation. Would be nice to be able to bolt it to a fixture off the truck. If it were mine, I'd start with unlocking the drum, wearing long sleeves and uber thick leather gloves and start pulling and prying while it's on the truck. If that fails then you may be required to get out the gas hatchet.

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
The way this sounds with the cable FORCED and TIGHT between the drum and gear case ,I dont see the drum turning, let a lone relaseing the drum clutch, I really dont see anyway but the tourch, Id alse look real close at the gear case for cracks where the top and back plates got pulled

Hotrodherman

Well I got the winch out today. Total destruction. It destroyed the inside of the Case were you engage it. It wound the cable in so far it forced it into the case there was about 4 or 5 wraps in case. So i need a new passenger side case and inside the drum had all kinds of destroyed metal in it. And the cable actually cushed the inside of the drum were it fits into the case. So I'm SOL.
Thanks for the help everyone. I really messed it up this time if anyone has parts let me know. Thanks

91W350

The shear pin should break when the winch gets overloaded. It is hard to say that it would have stopped your damage, but it would be nice to know. We sheared three trying to load this beast with the tandems frozen.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIMfyG-09OE[/media]

A buddy pulled a dummy with his 5 ton and broke a couple of internal parts. I suppose we could have bought them, but we made them on a mill and with a lathe. He sucked a cable in trying to pull a crane with a blown engine onto a low boy. We got it loaded with a back hoe and my M715 and four blocks on a 8000 pound winch. The 5 ton was parked with a broken winch for several months. Glen

KsM715

Dont feel to bad about it. When I got my w/w deuce the pin was sheared and I wanted to re-spool the cable so I just put in what ever bolt I could find that fit. That truck is getting bobbed and every time Im searching for parts I always come across shear pins. You would think I would spend a few bucks and add one to my order. Have I? No. Tomorrow I have to order a new u-joint, when I order it maybe I'll remember this and order the shear pin also.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks