• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I think I have a shut valve

scottmh

So on my deuce I noticed that the ctis will not inflate the tires and just says they are flat when they have 40psi in them. It says the manifold pressure is 0. Also my air assist steering does nothing. I read how it should have a pressure release when switching directions. It does not. Are the two systems linked at some point?

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How long have you had the truck? When you say manifold press. is 0, is that the CTIS controller read out or the truck's air pressure gage? The steering is independent, however there is a manual air shut off valve, for the steering air supply, located on the fire wall, centered about the engine valve cover, ensure that is open. Then check the CTIS distribution manifold on the frame rail and ensure the electrical connecter is secure, check if the air pressure is present at the manifold. Report back.
JC

scottmh

Ok I will check that during my lunch hour. The truck was delivered to me yesterday. The air pressure gauge stays at 0 for about 10 seconds then jumps to 60 and steadily increases to 120 from there. The digital read out on the ctis will read manifold 0 to 3 psi when trying to fill the tires almost sounds like a ping pong ball bouncing. Then it stops, farts then tries again. After about 3 tries it just says "FLAT?" On the screen

scottmh

Wow, lots of great info in there! Thank you. One more question. On the rear two axles is it normal for them to be offset from one another? 20130731_071053_zps7cd26875.jpg I tried to take a picture but it didn't come out. But if you look the first tire is farther to the left than the tire behind it. it might be a total of an inch but its noticeable.

Last edited:

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is alot of travel in the rear suspension , when turning they will do that . But if pulled straight forward or straight backward they should realign .

this geared more to the M35A2 but is still quite usefull for instecting your truck ; GTA-9-1-1851-8.pdf
the rest of the TM's are free to download here ; TM's for the Deuce

scottmh

Ok, the valve under the hood was all the way open. On the inside frame rail there looks to be a regulator but I do not see anywhere to adjust it. I also found a leaky hose on the steering gear box. On the CTIS it looks like everything is hooked up where it is supposed to be.

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Scott,
Sounds like the engine air compressor is working as advertized. My A3 builds pressure identically. As for the CTIS, start by reading all the attached threads Porky posted, lots of good info from others in the same boat (truck) you're in. Also good reference to the Tech Manuals you will need to maintain the unit. The Truck is safe to operate w/ the CTIS in the OFF position, it can wait. On the third day you own the truck, check it's vital fluids, all of them. Grease/lube the truck, lots of grease zerks to find. Obtain an Operators Manual and read it, lots of good, "I didn't know that", info. As Porky stated, park the truck after you have pulled forward and backed strait, keeps the tension/torque to a minimum on the rear axles. In a couple of months, you'll be the guy informing new owners on the ins and out of their new purchases. Good luck, have fun.
JC

scottmh

On the ctis we removed the pressure transducer and cleaned the junk out of it. I set it for cross country and bam! It pressured up the tires to 34-36psi then...****...thats all folks. It wont pressure down for mud mode and wont pressure up for highway mode. But it does hold it at 34-36

So removing the regulator helped with the steering but now there is a big air leak. It only gets up to 90psi at idle and when I turn the steering wheel it drops to 70psi then back up. Ocasionally it made the low air buzzer go off if I moved it fast. The steering is easier but still not easy.

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The steering will never compare to hyd. power steering that you may be acustomed to with a civilian vehicle. The air system is purely an assist. Also, only turn the wheel when the truck is rolling, static steering is tough on the linkage system. Low air warning is not good, where is the big air leak, from a (JG) plastic fitting? CTIS manifold? As for your CTIS comtroller, sounds like it's trying to work, I would keep it off for a while and secure the leaks and service the ruck. Then get it on the road and exercise the system.