• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I thought I was DEQ (SMOG CHECK) exempt in Oregon?

avlon01

Do you have it registered as an antique, military vehicle, or collector (not sure what applies to Oregon)? Those classifications are usually exempt for emission tests. In WI any diesel before 2006 is exempt.

Drock

Do you have it registered as an antique, military vehicle, or collector (not sure what applies to Oregon)? Those classifications are usually exempt for emission tests. In WI any diesel before 2006 is exempt.
Yeah I thought these being government vehicles they were exempt in all states?

Ilikemtb999

I had to smog mine here in denver. I passed. I think the opacity test for 85 was 40%, I had 35% or close to it. The guy told me next time just put extra diesel additive/injector cleaner in it. I brought it with my usual amount of diesel additive and a quart of 2 stroke oil in it.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Kazakhstan, we bribe the emissions tester with virgin olives(makes the best oil), or simply stuff a bull turd up the tailpipe and the computer thinks it's just a cow(which automatically passes the test) since that is our main transportation power source.

Last edited:

scottladdy

In Kazakhstan, we bribe the emissions tester with virgin olives(makes the best oil), or simply stuff a bull turd up the tailpipe and the computer thinks it's just a cow(which automatically passes the test) since that is our main transportation power source.

:funny:

My '09 is exempt here in CT due to age.
My '08 is exempt due to age, but prior to that it was exempt due to GVWR.

Last edited by a moderator:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Merged your two identical threads.

tim292stro

Yeah I thought these being government vehicles they were exempt in all states?
On valid if:

YOU (owner) = GOVERNMENT

Otherwise you need to register as historic so that you are not forced to modify the engine to meet that year's emissions equipment. If you have plans of modifying your ride and your state doesn't specifically have a FMV exemption on the books you have to play by the rules or get the rule book thrown at you if you get caught trying to cheat the system.

DrillerSurplus

M1009 GVWR = 6400LBS

6400 is not greater than 8500, the registration guy told you to basically falsify your documents...

In California's diesel emissions inspection for older vehicles, we have two parts:

1. Inspection to ensure factory emissions control equipment is in place and functioning.
  2. Snap acceleration test - this is a warm-engine peddle mashed to the floor exercise not under drive-train load (Dyno). If your exhaust pipe belches black smoke you're f-d. There is an opacity chart or optical sensor they place on your pipe to ensure you're not spewing soot.

Generally if your engine is running well with no blue/white haze (worn out engine, bad rings, burning oil), and you haven't removed any emissions control hardware (EGR, CAT, DPF, etc...) you should pass.

A few tips gained from years of passing the "snap" test with trucks running 6V92 Detroit engines in California, Oregon & Washington. (as well as more modern diesels, but the Detroits were the toughest)

Unless it has changed recently, you, not someone from the testing facility, are the one stepping on the accelerator pedal, so you have a little control on how the snap is performed.

1. Start by having the truck at a fast idle-best if you can pre-set idle speed up to 850-900 before you go to test, but slight pressure on pedal if you don't set it in advance
2. Most important, do a slower "mash" to the floor. You can't get too carried away or they will make you repeat it, but just a little delay helps avoid the big black puff up the stack.
3. Practice this before you go so you know what works and it is easy for you to repeat. They usually have you do several "snaps"

Some of the trucks with the 6V92's came from SoCal Edison's fleet. They had a little thing like a miniature shock absorber in the throttle linkage that prevented the engine from spooling up too quickly.

That sucks... I can't find any applicable exemptions for you either. Makes me glad that I'm on the Washington side of things. Here, anything more than 25 years old is automatically exempt. Story here; My grandpa's 83 C20 that we recently took the engine out of his M1009 for once had to do something similar to the snap test on its old engine (years ago, probably about 2000 +/-, was parked for about 12 years needing an engine). Instead of flooring it and checking for smoke, the testers had to make sure the engine's governor was working. My grandpa (a long time mechanic) was not thrilled about this at all and asked the DEQ would cover the cost if the engine went bang or anything and and they just said nope. Thankfully the thing passed and came out with no new problems but this test had my grandpa concerned when we were rebuilding his donor 6.2. Like I said, thankfully Washington exempts anything 25 years+.

Here's a couple links so everyone can easily find the info:
http://www.oregon.gov/odot/dmv/pages/vehicle/emissions.aspx
http://www.deq.state.or.us/aq/vip/whatstested.htm
http://www.dol.wa.gov/vehicleregistration/emissions.html

Interesting to see that Washington has a custom vehicle/hot rod exemption 8). Probably going to end up using that a few years down the road here if any of my ideas (some of which are pretty crazy) become real :p.

cucvrus

Interesting stuff. I would love to see them shut down these Boneheads in the Ram trucks that belch out black soot and smoke onto the vehicles behind them. I am unsure how they get away with that noise and smoke when they are shoving wands up tailpipes and pressure testing gas caps on every other vehicle in the commonwealth. Fortunately for me all the diesels are exempt from emissions in PA. Also I have the M1009 Mule tagged as an Antique. It never needs inspection and is a one time $75. permanent registration. Down side? NO Trailer pulling NO load hauling. That is the only down fall. You are not supposed to drive it as a daily driver. NO problem. I don't want to drive it everyday anyway. NO AC no radio. I love the little Mule but I am not in love with it. Good Luck with your struggle. I hope you all find solutions soon.

2deuce

The check is easy, and only while idling. They check for CO and visible tailpipe smoke. I've never had a problem with any of the M1009's I've had checked as long as I have the 21 bucks on me.

edpdx

M1009 Passess Oregon DEQ smog test...

Well. let me rephrase. I drove in. He checked my Odometer. He punched in my VIN and asked me for the MONEY.

There was no test whatsoever. I not bitching, it's just that if they don't give a ****, why don't they charge less?

Cucvnut

Good question, your Cucv is the only one that requires "smog" in the portland area, I did not I had the DEQ exempt sheet and its 8500 gross vehicle rating exempt is 8000 and up.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks