• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I thought spin on filters was a civi mod...

linx310

I thought the Spin on filters were a mod people made to M1009s after the government was done with them.

This is the first one I have seen to have it before uncle sam was done with it.

Attachments

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I see hood insulation. Also, some odd fitting on the heater hose(maybe a flush Tee)?

Last edited:

linx310

Could this have some thing to do with it.

There is another with the spin on filter mod with this data plate called a

"NON TACT VEH CONVERSION"

Some kind of sub model of the M1009?

Attachments

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can't predict what each unit did to their rigs. I remember seeing a TA-75 tow tractor with flames on the front, a four barrel carb, with cam (SB ford) in Ft Worth when I was there. (This was after they were due to be turned in, and it was used in the yard).:driver:

linx310

Well the rabbit hole goes deeper....I looked up some of the NIIN numbers listed on that conversion data plate:

Abbr. Report for NSN: 2320-01-090-7835

Mfr/OEM/Agencies: U S ARMY TANK AUTOMOTIVE
Suppliers: CARTER CHEVROLET

NSN Identification Information
INC Name FIIG AMC Unit Weight Unit Volume Date Assigned
11357 TRUCK, CARRYALL A37500 1B 0 0.000 02/24/1980

Item Name Definition Item Name
A TRUCK WITH A PANEL TYPE BODY HAVING WINDOWS AND FOLDING AND/OR REMOVABLE SEATS DESIGNED TO TRANSPORT SUPPLIES AND/OR EQUIPMENT AND PERSONNEL. EXCLUDES AUTOMOBILE, STATION WAGON.

MCRD CAGE Name P/N DAC MSDS RN RNAAC RNFC RNSC RNJC SADC HCC
19207 U S ARMY TANK AUTOMOTIVE COMMAND AMSTA-IM-MM ACVCIJ2101 23 AZ 1 A
19207 U S ARMY TANK AUTOMOTIVE COMMAND AMSTA-IM-MM IJ2101 23 AZ 1 A

Past Sales Year Qty Total Sales Total
1992 (See full report)
1993 (See full report)

Award History CAGE Name Contract Quantity Bid Date Award Date FOB Price Value Deliv Can/Mod PN/CAGE Quoted
61930 CARTER CHEVROLET AGE DAAE0793C0576 20 EA (See full report)
61930 CARTER CHEVROLET AGE DAAE0793C0052 5 EA (See full report)

CAGE Information CAGE Name St Phone Fax Contact Email/Web Site City State
19207 U S ARMY TANK AUTOMOTIVE COMMAND AMSTA-IM-MM A (See full report)
61930 CARTER CHEVROLET A (405) 263-7252 (405) 263-7367 (See full report)

Surplus Date Quantity Condition Value Location DTID
12/13/2007 (See full report)

End Item NIIN/Code Description
(See full report) NONTACTICAL WHEELED VEHICLES
Seems some dealer ship in Oklahoma provided these things. A total of 25.

Why would they go through a dealer instead of straight from GM?

Maybe this is some kind of hybrid civi version.

Capt.Marion

Maybe this is some kind of hybrid civi version.
It seems like this is what it is. The plate says "NON-TACT VEH CONVERSION"

Translating that into non-DOD english:

"This truck is a converted non-tactical vehicle" as in the OK dealership provided them with 25 straight-up Civvy Blazers and the Army gave them a coat of CARC and some of the military upgrades.

67_C-30

It seems like this is what it is. The plate says "NON-TACT VEH CONVERSION"

Translating that into non-DOD english:

"This truck is a converted non-tactical vehicle" as in the OK dealership provided them with 25 straight-up Civvy Blazers and the Army gave them a coat of CARC and some of the military upgrades.
The funny thing is that it appears to have all military upgrades, but some of the civi stuff left on there. From the pics, it has all the 24v stuff, pintle, B/O lights, mil spec CDR valve and hosing. But the extra stuff that isn't mil spec like hood insulation, air cleaner tubing brackets, spin on filter, etc is what's interesting. My biggest question about it would be if they actually swapped it over to a TH400. Civi Blazers were never offered with TH400's, so it would have had to swapped to be mil spec. The rear battery tray looks to aftermarket, because its different than the normal CUCV's. It's definitely an odd bird!

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
....Seems some dealer ship in Oklahoma provided these things. A total of 25.

Why would they go through a dealer instead of straight from GM?
Carter Chevrolet is a small dealer in Okarche, OK. I have seen many military vehicles at their shop thruout the years.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The odd thing about this story....the truck with the Conversion Data Plate looks completely stock. The truck with the spinon filter doesn't have the conversion data plate.

Both trucks have the stock CUCV VIN plate on the door jamb with D in the 5th digit

The mystery continues.

Last edited:

markg

gm trucks had vin's that identified them as a military truck. example from my truck at left . 1gchd34jxefxxxxxx. the 5th character, d ,identifies it as military. the same civilian truck would be a k for 4x4 in the 5th position.
also just fyi the h in the 4th position indicates the brake system weight class. m1028 had the h in the 4th, m1008 had a g in the 4th position. good way to tell a more desirable 1028 by the vin. thanks. mark

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That data plate does say conversion. I would assume they took an M1009 and converted it to whatever the specs were for a non tactical vehicle. Wonder if there is a mil standard for the conversion?

southdave

That why I thought it warrenty issue, Like a bad engine ect.. they grab what they could get thier hands on.. or maybe it was just maintence contract and the the plate is record of execution of such..
just split balling

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks