• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I took time to work on the 1957 Utica Bend today...

91W350

I had a couple of customers here a few days ago and I fired up the 57 via slave cable after checking the oil and coolant levels. It fired right up and started racing right away. I had a hard time getting it to shut down.

Today it would not start, I pulled the cover off of the side of the injection pump, sure enough, the lever was stuck about 5:30. I sprayed PB Blaster in there and got things working freely.

Last edited by a moderator:

91W350

Sorry for the confusing post, my Droid is fighting with me. Anyway, this truck has really snug fitting fenders and I had to remove the cover screws through the vent slots on the inner fenders. It idles nicely now and fires easily. Time to start getting some brakes. I wish the bed was nicer. This is a pretty odd truck, long wheelbase and 24,000 pounds. This truck has been at maximum load since new.

It has a multifuel and air shift case, ether injection and plastic battery box. Obviously updated, but when is unknown. Not much info to be had by Internet search....

ranchhopper

Glen I have an old gasser gauge panel from my 52 studebaker if you need one the later ones are to big and will not fit if you still have the original dash still in the truck.

91W350

I have a M715 panel, but I think it is too small. I took it for a drive today, all five gears work and this may be the quietest engine, transmission, transfer case of the four deuces I have. I rolled it across the scales at the shop, 18,300 without the generator, tools and machines on board. Steering was not as bad as I thought it would be, maybe that long tail has a nose lifting effect.

The rust in the top is pretty severe. The floors appear to be solid. There is a latch on the floor to keep the transfer case in high gear. I use low side all the time in my other deuces, so that was kind of distracting. The driver's door mirror frame is not anchored to the cowl, so it was free to swing. The right windshield is bad and the left one not much better. I should have some coming in this week.

Attachments

91W350

The front bumper shackles or clevises have bars welded across them to limit their travel, I had not seen that before either.

The toolbox under the cab has a padlock on it still, maybe it will have treasures when I cut it off. The under seat storage is empty on this one.... that has been a treasure land in the past.

They cut an exit hole for the J pipe in the right inner fender, it is much cleaner than those I have seen before.

I wish I was in the MV camper building frame of mind, this would make a great start. The extra three feet of wheelbase would be handy there. The truck is very close in length to a M923.

When I arrived back at home, I backed it in and took a group photo. The 923s are not mine, but I am also missing two deuces and my M1008 and a few trailers. The little Dodge is probably the handiest thing I ever owned to recover parts out in the yard.

Attachments

91W350

I also took my 68 to a parade in Brookville, KS today. While there I spotted an unusual bull, a nice old Jeep and one of our previously owned M923s. I followed the 923 in the parade. There was a few Model A and Model T Fords running around as well. I ran the old girl up on the governor on the way home, just to see if it would, it will. Shortly after that, we were back to the usual 2,000 rpm.....

Attachments

Heavysteven

Kind of neat I think, I have not see a deuce shop truck. At 18,300 she's got 4,000 more pounds of steel than a M35A2 W/W.

I want a M925 so bad and all the 900 series chatter is not helping.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks