• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I want a 5 ton

101coolcars

Steel Soldiers Supporter
seeking to join the 5 ton family

I have several mv's but now I'm thinking I want a 5 ton. Pro and cons of the various years and models?

i think I want to tow a m1061 trailer with it. I really like that look.

I'm hoping to get some opinions

thanks
in advance

Last edited:

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No cons best truck in my opinion.
Ctis 8.3 Cummins turbocharged super singles.
You just can't asked for a better truck.

Ue413

Having a naturally aspirated and turbo charged, I cannot say one is better than the other except for fuel consumption on turbo version (A2). They are well made and easy to drive trucks and I don't think you can make a bad choice.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I wouldn't take a skinned monkey for my M927A2.

The 8.3 can be turned up to 400 HP without making it sweat (assuming you have an competent pump doctor).

It rides like a Caddy (I have a civy seat in it) and gets decent mileage for a vehicle that weighs 27,000 pounds and has the aerodynamics of a concrete block.

I still love a deuce but I'm firmly in the 900 series 5 ton club now.

Spyderman

I love my 5 Ton. I have the A1. I really wanted an A2 but got a great deal on the one I have. When I have the chance I will get an A2 because of the fuel mileage.

ThatXJGuy

Depends on your price tag too, you can get an M-39 series 5 ton for $1000... There's also the choice of manual or auto transmissions. The cool part is they all use the same suspension, axles, and chassis with only minor changes so whichever one you pick you can do pretty much all of the same things with, just some are slower than others and some come with all sorts of fancy shenannigans like air ride seats and heaters lol.

101coolcars

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think a 900 series a2 with a winch and cammo cargo cover and a drop side bed is what I'd like to find. I'll check the e auction sites and the classifieds.

74M35A2

All 939 beds are drop-side (I think?). 923/5/x base is 10 wheeler, A1 is taller 48" singles, A2 brings CTIS and half sized turbo motor. NHC 250 is 4mpg, 6CTA8.3 is 10mpg. A2 can roll 67mph stock out of the box. Here is my A2 wincher going for a walk:

DSC_0427.jpg

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I get 5mpg with the nh250 even towing another 939series.

7-12mpg out of various A2's in varying circumstances.

More power right off the line with the nh250, and they shift better.

8.3 pulls hills considerably better, and tows heavy loads better. Example - M923A2 towed a 16,000lb mk16 uphill at 35mph on the way back from Nellis AFB. Loaded M925A1 was reduced to a 15mph crawl on the same hill.

Purely subjective, but I really like the sound of the NH250.

74M35A2

I get 5mpg with the nh250 even towing another 939series.

7-12mpg out of various A2's in varying circumstances.

More power right off the line with the nh250, and they shift better.

8.3 pulls hills considerably better, and tows heavy loads better. Example - M923A2 towed a 16,000lb mk16 uphill at 35mph on the way back from Nellis AFB. Loaded M925A1 was reduced to a 15mph crawl on the same hill.

Purely subjective, but I really like the sound of the NH250.
Great experience of both above without having to buy either! Yes, 250 sounds like a semi truck, 8.3 sounds like a school bus (because they both really are).

I bought mine from a member here, tractors0130. I'd recommend anybody to buy from him. He had it in tip-top shape when he sold it. I was very glad to pay him more than auction price for the work he did, the time and trust he allowed when I was looking at it, and his honesty. Doing so you will pay several thousand more than auction price, but it removes most all the risk because you can spend some time with it and test drive it. Auction can say "runs" but doesn't say it has a hole in the engine block. Auction can also say "won't start", and it just means dead batteries. Or, anything in between. 923's have sold for less than scrap price at auction, and driven home. If you really want an A2 with all the tricks, needs nothing, and minimal risk, you'll pay up to 4x or so as compared to an auction one that is pictured with flat tires. Add-on's can be pricy. Cargo cover alone can be expensive. Then you need the bows to support it. Converting a non-winch truck to winch can be expensive and a lot of work. Used parts alone to do so are in the upward neighborhood of $2000 or so, and you still have to do the work.

DSC_0221.jpg

Last edited:

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
that is a sweet rig! whats the street price range for somthing like that? post auction from a private party.
74M35A2's truck has all the desirable features and is nicely repainted.

Assigning value simply based on what I see bere would put the lower end of a screaming deal somewhere around $10,500 (and similar trucks have brought more than this at auction) to a realistic value somewhere more like $16,500.

Hopefully I didn't offend anyone.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks