• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I want to buy an M35a and have questions.

Johnybusa

I’ve searched the site several times but still have questions. This will be my first M35 purchase or MV/GL purchase of any kind. All help would be greatly appreciated.

1st: Would it be best to buy from GL or from and individual?
2nd: On the GL site it lists the different fees. What is the rate for the “sales use or excise tax” and would I not have to pay this at the DMV?
3rd: How hard is it to register a MV in Tennessee?
Lastly: Will the fact that I am Active Duty Military speed up the EUC process or is that just wishful thinking?

Thanks again for any help.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
If you are to buy an MV, I say buy one as close to home as possible.
If you buy from GL, you will pay 10% as a buyer's premium and sales tax from that state(most of the time)
I don't know about TN, doubt it will be hard.
Yes, wishfull thinking.

ABN173

Will the fact that I am Active Duty Military speed up the EUC process or is that just wishful thinking?

Thanks again for any help.
Johny,

I think it does help, not in a huge way but it does help. I say this because most of us in the military have out of state DL's from where we are stationed. When it comes time to submit a EUC you have to scan a color copy of your DL and send it in along with your application. I scanned the front and back of my DL along with my military ID card, this may not speed the process up but it may weigh in on it getting approved especially if your DL address no longer matches your physical address.

Good luck,
Dale

panzerjunky

Just my 2 cents worth but if it is your first MV I would suggest buying from a local dealer or a reputable guy from this board as they will most likley have gone through the truck making sure that it is safe to operate and give you the strait dope on possible issues thus leaving you ( For the time being anyway) with just Maint related repairs and not major stuff as you as did the rest of us did learn about your truck and what makes your perticular vehicle tick. Yes you will pay a little more for it out the gate but its usualy not a crap shoot as with non inspected GL buys I may be F.O.S but IMHO save up a few extra dollars and forgo the GL rout the first time and go with a reputable SS member who has a few for sale as you will not end up with the BS that can come from not knowing the vehicle or the GL system.
Just and opinion
Take care and good luck
Jerry

rockman

JB, I registered mine in Tn about 3 years ago as an antique vehicle. I had a PA license so it was real easy. No inspections required and it is a lifetime plate.

Where in TN are you heading to?

Bill

JTugwell

i bought mine from a fellow SS member. may have paid 100-200 bucks more for it than i could have picked it up on GL, but I knew it ran, and drove great. to me that was well worth the piece of mind knowing the condition of the truck. now i will look at GL, but only because i have a truck to go recover in. there are a bunch of very nice trucks on here for sale at good prices. you should check them out. also from personal experience ill let you know that if you need a title in your state, buy one that already has already been titled. trust me. just my 2cents

Tackettr

Military members FYI: Commanders and Supervisors and reminded that the photocopying of US Government Identification is a violation of Title 18, US Code Part I, Chapter 33, Section 701 and punishable by both fine and imprisonment. Many military members, family member and DOD employees are unaware of this law.

Please pass to the lowest level and include in training for force protection, information security and OPSEC.

M35Brown

I got my new Deuce from an individual in GA. It was already Tagged and Titled in GA.
I don’t think it is going to be an problem getting it in TN.
As for Insurance, some of the past post on SS stated they used State Farm.
I checked our provider in TN. And they could not cover it. I called State Farm, and in a few minutes I had coverage.
Good luck on your new Deuce. I am in Sevierville TN (Gatlinburg) Come by if you can.

M35Brown

I got my new Deuce from an individual in GA. It was already Tagged and Titled in GA.
I don’t think it is going to be an problem getting it in TN.
As for Insurance, some of the past post on SS stated they used State Farm.
I checked our provider in TN. And they could not cover it. I called State Farm, and in a few minutes I had coverage.
Good luck on your new Deuce. I am in Sevierville TN (Gatlinburg) Come by if you can.

MindIfIsmoke

I am in the same boat as the guy before i am looking at buying a m35a. the one i am looking at is a 76 canvas top. not sure on the milage or anything else. The guy is a surplus dealer and has about 50 to choose from they range from 3 thousand to 6 thousand a piece. more for a newer year and better condition. The truck is about 70 miles away from my house. so it is close. Can you guys give me some advise also
thanks

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I may have a M35A2 with winch for sale in TN in a few weeks if you are interested. It will have a clear TN title.

GL fee is 10% and if you buy in TN the sales tax is 9.75%. I always figure 20% when I'm bidding which can be several hundred dollars over your winning bid so you've got to keep that in mind.

Mt Doom Field Owner

I am a new M35A2 owner myself getting into mood to buy back in June of this year. I didn't jump on the first one I saw and luckly for me, found this forum. After a short time I got a fellow SS member to sell me one of his collection for a very reasonable price. Granted it was more than GL prices but had been driven, inspected, had a tag already and in general was known to be in good condition. He told me about leaking wheel seals or cylinder (turned out to be seals) ... but that was about it! I have been working on the little things like getting working head lights, a temp gage and windshield wipers to work but these are getting done one by one and for a few bucks each when I get up the spare change. In the meantime I have this BIG OLD TRUCK sitting in the yard and it cranks up and runs great. My advise... buy from a known MV owner. These guys know about what repairs will cost you and where you can get work done. Stay on these forums for a while and you'll get lots of good advise. Good Luck!

Johnybusa

I currently live in NJ but originally from Greeneville TN. This is where all my vehicles are tagged. Once I get my MV no matter what state i buy it in it will need to be tagged in TN.

MindIfIsmoke

Now i have looked at GL and many of the trucks on there say unknown runnin condition and have price tags up to $73,000. thats outragus for a truck that old. I mean you can buy a Brand new peterbilt for $100,000. I was just wondering some obvious stuff to look for when buying one of these bad boys. good or bad stuff. i just dont wanna get duped in to buyin a piece! Like i said the guy im buying off of has 50 to choose from. and i was just wonderin if 3-6k is a decent price for one

MindIfIsmoke

It says that at the bottom of the add. I mean i may not be reading it correct. I know most of the say starting bid 150.00 but it has some amount on the bottom. 37500 is still allot for a duece in my eyes ;-)

G-Force

That amount is how much your tax dollars paid for it new back when it was made...the $150 is the starting bid and to the right of that is when the auction starts and stops....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks