• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I Want to replace my leaking IP, Or get it re-built.

mhb285

So I got my "replacement" IP from AMBAC this week. I've installed it yesterday & attached everything except the radiator. I'll install that tomorrow morning when I've got my soldier B.
I set up the timing myself. I've got everything correct (see pictures) except I don't see the "Red Tooth" in the HH window...... should I still fire it up tomorrow or did I screw something up...

Attachments

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Sometimes the too5h isn't red, but it should still have the little score or "groove". It you can't see it, your 180* out of time.

mhb285

OK, I was able to save the gasket. Found the red tooth and got all the timing marks lined up. Needed 3x shots of cold start to get it started. It Smokes way more than it should. I can restart it for the 1st 5 min. with out a shot of cold start. After that needs a little shot to fire up. I think air is getting in some where? S#*T.........
I'm open to suggestions....

Attachments

mhb285

Went thru all my fuel lines & connectors. They all look very good. Even replaced my air filter. Won't start cold with out a shot of cold start..... will start OK when still warm for about 15 min. After that needs cold start........ Looks like I got another lemon IP.
Sending email to AMBAC requesting a 3rd quality tested replacement.... Maybe the 3rd time is the charm :)....I'm now a expert on pulling & replacing IP's..

mhb285

Thanks Chris.
I pulled off the front valve cover and it was not on the compression stroke position with the harmonic balancer in the timing mark. I spun it around 1 complete turn and lined the harmonic balancer up again & it was right in the middle of the #1 cylinder compression stroke. The front IP timing mark was still dead on , but the rear "red" tooth was not visible. With the radiator removed, I pulled the IP timing cover off and spun the IP over till the "red" tooth was visible . With all the timing marks set & the radiator back in & re-filled It started 1st time and NO SMOKE!
Looking at the oil its kinda black , but with only 10 miles on it. Do you think that my IP timing mistake caused this? And should I change it out.
Thanks
Mike Bogner

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks