• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I want to use my m35a2 to tow a jeep xj

m715

Has anyone used a m35 to tow a Cherokee? I want to drive my m35 to a military show and pull my xj behind. Any kind of tow bar that would work for this?

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Has anyone used a m35 to tow a Cherokee? I want to drive my m35 to a military show and pull my xj behind. Any kind of tow bar that would work for this?
I don't know what kind of specific tow bar would work, but you can definitely do it. We used to tow Jeeps with tow bars all the time in the Guard. A lot of times we'd have one in the back, and one being towed behind. And you can even tow another M-35. Gimpy might be a good person to ask.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Honestly, I'd see about a civy tow bar. No need for the girth of a mil-spec one unless you might tow your deuce with it.

m715

I do want to be able to tow a m35 as well. But maybe not with the same set up . I put factory tow hooks on my frame that came on some xj. The height difference is what I am unsure of. I was thinking maybe the ibis would work? As far as a civy set up can anyone suggest anything .

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I wouldn't worry about the height diff since the tow vehicle is so heavy. If its way different, you could put a hitch reciever on the deuce to lower the lunette.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I tow the redtruck behind 5tons using a nonadjustable medium-heavy bar. An adjustable medium bar will work just as well.

Here again, the only catch is whether your tow points are compatible. Ideally you need a 1" hole to grab. 3/4" feet are also readily available.

Post a pic of your tow hooks....

Height difference isn't going to be an issue unless it's extreme.

Safety chains, tow lights, and steering UNLOCKED.

Screenshot_2017-06-14-10-59-59.jpg

Screenshot_2017-06-14-11-00-36.jpg

If you're wanting to be able to tow your MV as well there's no need to have separate tow systems. What you want is a medium adjustable bar. I wouldn't use the IBIS on anything larger than a hmmwv.

Last edited:

m715

I cant find a medium tow bar close to me. I want to get one at the N.H. military rally coming up. This will be my first trip with my m35 since repainting it, and I want to trade for some things I need. My insurance papers are due in any day.

Cape Coastie

CWO4 ENG/MSS, USCG, RET.
Hey M715, I know there is a member on here that was selling tow bars at the show last year and he is in Vermont. His name here is Evil Dr. Porkchop. Maybe a pm to him may get results. Good luck. Also put an ad in the parts wanted forum.

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
I've still got some NOS medium tow bars as well as 3/4" feet and chain clamp sets. I'll be at the VT and Weare Rallies next month if you don't want to make a trip up to Northwest VT.

gerrykan

I pulled my Jeep CJ5 many times with a towbar behind an M35.
I used a towbar that I made out of the drawbar from a military trailer. It is about 4-5 feet long, giving a gentle slope down to the CJ's bumper.

Worst thing is not being able to see if the towed vehicle's front wheels are straight due to the width of the M35.
This is not something to worry too much about unless maneuvering on gravel or other loose surfaces.
Just watch for blue tire smoke when you get up to speed, as the multi-fuel is too loud for you to hear the tires squealing.

Check to see what the manufacturer recommends for flat towing the Cherokee, such as transmission and transfercase shift positions, etc.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks