• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I was Brave... but wouldnt recommend it

Somemedic

Ive been watching this forum for awhile and saw that running unleaded in ur truck is ok. Even says it on the dash as a recommended fuel. So I went to Hattiesberg and picked up my prize.

On the way back, after running a full tank of fresh diesel (truck had been sitting in the lot for over a year) I decided to give her a try and add 1/2 a tank of unleaded to the mix. Drove the truck around 50-55mph and the temp stayed in the safe range. No noticable noises. Filled up a full tank of unleaded and continued on. I noticed I couldnt keep it up around 50mph. When I took my foot off the peddle it wouldnt idle and was harder to start unless I gave it time and drained the primary a bit. Think I ran 1 half and 2 complete tanks of unleaded.

At that point I figured Id better stick to #2, I filled up at a truck stop and as I drove I felt the power and smoothness come back. I dont think I have the power in 5th that I did but Im not under the impression anything is damaged. I have run 4 full tanks of diesel and Lucas additive in the truck and also did a complete filters change. Filters were rough u/x and looked as tho they needed changing.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Medic... I'm sure I will be severely chastised for saying this...but...my understanding of a multi fuel engine is that it can use alternative fuels in an emergency..but it prefers diesel. I know fellers make magic mixtures etc for fuel and if it works for them I'm happy for them. As for me, if it is a diesel engine, it drinks diesel...unless its not available.
OK alternative fuel fellers...blast me away!

DanMartin

The -10 explains all of this on table 1-11. Please note the cautions around using alternative fuels, especially about damaging the pistons if the engine runs rough on those fuels.

wsucougarx

My biggest and only concern about runnning straight gas is the lack of the lubrication properties of diesel. Besides, there is nothing like the smell of a diesel engine on start up:). I'm kind of sick that way:)

TommyG45

Yes, Don't run straight gas for long, as for the recommended fuel.. it isn't gas. Mix what you already have in the tank with diesel, you may want to throw in some WMO to boot. Don't run straight gas unless in an emergency.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Don't forget that these trucks grew up in the good ole days of tetra ethel lead. That was also a lubricant in MOGAS when the fuel was authorised as an emergency run fuel. The Army put diesel only on almost all dueces long ago to keep Soldiers from putting MOGAS in them and getting them worn out early and increasing the fire hazard

Somemedic

Santa:

"U/x or u/e" is medic nomenclature for Upon examination. Theres also U/a for upon arrival and c/c for chief complaint. Im hip with vernacular...

Jones

Our motor pool Sgt. always said that diesel was preferred and the other fuels were strictly get-you-out-of-the-line-of-fire-and-home substitutes.
With the 'thinner' fuels, he insisted on adding motor oil to the fuel so there was something there to lube the IP. 13 1/2 months in-country and we never lost a truck he had control over.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No pure crude. Pure crude has all sorts of tars and junk in it that needs to be removed in order to go through the IP, and even if you filter it, I just wouldn't.

The multifuel engine will run on a bunch of mixtures of fuel, but it gets the most bang for the buck with diesel. Diesel has the highest BTU return per volume, gas has a much lower BTU return, so it will run on gas, but it won't return as much work for the volume used.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I dunno Mike, my diesel costs alot more than the wmo I use, big difference in "bang for the buck"! I got Catlett's truck to Ga and part way back on about $175 of fuel. Thats 3 or 4 fill ups. J/K I know you were just stating that diesel has the higher btu rating.

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
**freaked out by the thought of Gas in a diesel engine**

I can't bring myself to do it. Growing up around diesel engines the cardinal rule was NO GAS! Even with my deuce, I can't bring myself to mix..... Must be my OCD....

(That's a medical term meaning I freak out if lines aren't exactly parallel, pictures aren't exactly level and fuel for a diesel engine isn't diesel):razz:

Wolf.Dose

Fuel

Your motor pool sergant was a smart man. Follow his ideas. With todays diesel fuel you may add 1% of engine oil to improve fuel system lubrication. For emergancy Diesel engines burn a lot of ****, but this is nothing good for the environment due to burning fractures like Dioxin.
Most of the waste oils (as long as the **** burns!) can be burnt by Diesels, if the oil is clean enough. But there are a lot of side effects like engine oil contamination / oil changing periods reduction.
Wolf

bottleworks

**freaked out by the thought of Gas in a diesel engine**

I can't bring myself to do it. Growing up around diesel engines the cardinal rule was NO GAS!
Well, the LDT and LDS engines are not diesels. They are compression ignition designed, but they are multifuels. The only issue I have had running gasoline was during a very hot day... I got a case of vapor lock.

dburt

Old time truckers I know always run a quart of auto trans fluid with every 50 gallons of diesel to lube the IP. This is especially true with the lower lube qualities of low sulphur modern diesel and the need for good lube in the fuel for the older engine IPs. Something sticks in the back of my mind that a good limp home mode for a diesel engine with only gas available was to add 1 quart of motor oil to every 5-10 gallons of gas, can't remember the exact amount. At the Ford dealership I was working at last spring, someone accidently put 10 gallons of gas into a new Ford diesel pickup tank that had about 10 gallons of diesel in it. It was driven for about 40 miles before the driver figured out it had no power and sounded a little different. Did not hurt anything. Still, I vote for diesel only, unless it's an emergency, and then only a 50/50 gas with the diesel mix at the most!