• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I was Stuck in the mud

cumminsbandit

All you need is a 84 chevy half ton short box with a 30' snap strap, back tailgate to tailgate and get just as darn much speed as you can in 30'. If it moves 3" or more, keep doing it! This may take 3-20 good yanks! This works!!! If it doesn't, you ether aren't trying hard enough, or you need a longer strap. (do not use a vehicle you care much about)

*** Wear your seat belt***

Jeepsinker

I got my wrecker stuck behind my shop the other day. Sank it up to the axles in bottomless gunk. Hooked up the wrecker chain from front shackle to pintle on my deuce and drug it right out with a bit of wheel spinning in low gear 6x6. And to think I bought the wrecker to unstick the deuce if I ever got it stuck...

Rusty Nut

Take your time, try not to get frustrated, and definitely take it easy doing the F-R rocking trick. It's much easier to get the truck out if it isn't broken. I 2nd the lower tire air pressure fix.

Be safe.

nk14zp

All you need is a 84 chevy half ton short box with a 30' snap strap, back tailgate to tailgate and get just as darn much speed as you can in 30'. If it moves 3" or more, keep doing it! This may take 3-20 good yanks! This works!!! If it doesn't, you ether aren't trying hard enough, or you need a longer strap. (do not use a vehicle you care much about)

*** Wear your seat belt***
Jack up stuck truck and put said chevy under the tires.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm not up on 5 ton nomenclature but if it has duals you can use the are between the stuck tires as a winch drum.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Deep Space One Mud Recovery

I will have pictures later today.. In the chaos of trying to get it out last night no one thought to snap a pic
Wish I could help but too busy with beaver, dam up near the arctic.:D Taking pictures as soon as you get stuck and posting them puts some time and minds between the problem and the solution. You'll get her out! http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?59917-How-to-post-pictures-a-tutorial

Whatever you do just be safe and come home with all the digits. http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?103547-Winch-Safety-and-Recovery-Dangers

We're jealous, everything is still frozen here.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Did you have any weight in the back of the truck? This is one reason a lot of people get stuck. It sounds counter intuitive but a ton of gravel will make a world of difference in tractive effort. I know this is late advice but it's something to think about. Is there anything you can load in the back......a couple of Prius, a CUCV or something else for ballast?
Since you are arse deep in mud you prob can't get to the back side of the tires. There is an additional valve stem back there that you can use to manually let the air out of the tires if you can get to it. I also assume you have the front axle engaged and the transfer case in Low.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wrecker companies don't like the idea of going down a dirt road.. Ive already had a 9500lb winch with a snatch block on it.. Moved about a foot! I'm going to try jacks and ramps next
If you can get enough snatch blocks on it, that 9500lb winch will do the job. If you have a good anchor point and a 4 part line, I'm fairly certain you can get it out with a 9,500lb winch.
You could even use a come-a-long if you have enough snatch blocks.

gaducker

If you can get enough snatch blocks on it, that 9500lb winch will do the job. If you have a good anchor point and a 4 part line, I'm fairly certain you can get it out with a 9,500lb winch.
You could even use a come-a-long if you have enough snatch blocks.
I watched a show where they had about 6 or 8 snatch blocks and about a 1 inch dia rope and they would stick the 5 tons on pourpose and pull it out with only manpower and pulleys they were right down the road in ft benning. It may have been dirty jobs with Mike rowe.

Mercunimog404

Banned
I watched a show where they had about 6 or 8 snatch blocks and about a 1 inch dia rope and they would stick the 5 tons on pourpose and pull it out with only manpower and pulleys they were right down the road in ft benning. It may have been dirty jobs with Mike rowe.
Yep. In H8 school they teach you all about that.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks