• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I wasn't looking for an M37...

Milbikes

Long story. Bought a 1960 Dodge D100 from a friend (Mercy buy). Was going to trade it for a Crosley wagon. The Crosley person dropped out. Sold the truck. Cash burning hole in pocket. Stumbled across a 1953 M37. It is amazingly rust free. No holes or soft spots in floors, cab, running boards, tool boxes or bed. There is a little bit under each headlight, and oddly along the outer edge of the driver fender. That's it. It has a hard top with an round window. It was 'running when parked'. The brakes don't work. The engine turns over by hand. Oops, now I own an M37! I was really looking for a Crosley pickup. Much smaller and better mileage....and utterly useless as a truck. Now this Dodge is a truck! Pictures soon. Hal

WarrenD

Congrats! I was thinking by the thread title that you were going to say one just followed you home!

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Congratulations, Milbikes! :beer: Sounds like it "was meant to be".
Look forward to seeing pics of your new truck. I know M-37's work great for carrying bikes (once you get them into the bed). :grin:

Mike_L

Congratulations on the M37. I wasn't looking for one either when I found mine. It was the curves that hooked me.

Sounds like you got some of the typical rust showing through. Watch the rear-most crossmember (the one the bed floor's rear edge is bolted to). They also tend to rust out underneath. Brakes seem to need frequent attention too - they don't like to sit idle. I usually bleed mine when the weather warms or a couple of times a year as I don't drive it as often as it should be and they go mushy quickly when they sit.

If you haven't been over to the G741.org site, check it out - 100% M37 crowd though many if not most of us are on here too. There is a registry that you can compare your truck to similar trucks in your production range.

Milbikes

Recovered (The truck)...

...now I have to recover! An hour plus with a come-along just isn't a fun way to load a truck onto a trailer. But we are home! Here are some pictures. Hal

Attachments

Milbikes

The inner fender wells look like shiny green paint, as well as the inside of the bed, and the bed sides by the fenders. The frame shows a lot of shiny green paint that is just one layer. The exterior has shiny green, followed by yellow, followed by the primer seen in the pictures. The interior looks to have a few more coats. Overall, it is extremely rust free except for the driver side front fender, and a little bit in the passenger front fender.

pwrwagonfire

Hey man that's in nice shape! Congrats on the new purchase

As we've discussed on here many times before, the hardtop is for a CCKW, the military had a kit to modify it to fit the M-37...mine has the same hardtop for now

Dodge man

Nice find! It looks like it's in very good condition and you even got the hard to find fording kit. Don't try to drive it routinely with the fording kit connected, the carb isn't properly adjusted for it. There should a standard air cleaner top stored somewhere in the vehicle that replaces to one that connects to the snorkel for normal driving. Definitely join the G741 group and add your vehicle to the registry.

Milbikes

I got to crawl over it today a little more. It is really solid. Inside the battery box is solid, no holes in the corners of the floor or anywhere. There is a new master cylinder and a U-joint with a short shaft on it under the seat. I also found some kind of a winch in the bed...what is it?

The air cleaner seems to be closed except for a round section that is aimed towards the hole by the side of the cowl.

I notice that a number of wires have fraying or missing insulation. I'll tape anything that is suspect, and I'll look it over good. I'll be putting in some new batteries soon, and an auxiliary fuel tank to try to get it started. I'll lube it up first and hope for the best.

Attachments

Whitey

I've kinda been seriously looking for an M37 and yours looks exactly what I haven't seem many of. Most of 'em seem to have busted/missing tailgates, severely rusted beds, and cabs not worth restoring. Then there are the ones that already completely restored and more $ than I'm looking to spend. Nice find. Enjoy the new toy!

xm708

m37

Nice looking truck for new england. One thing I saw is the air cleaner on there is for the fording system. I would get the stock air cleaner as I don't think those allow enough air in the engine for extended use. And don't give it away they are $100 plus for that cleaner.

welcome to the fold

Milbikes

Happy day, it started.

I spent an hour on the truck today, borrowed batteries out of my pickup, filled the carburetor with fuel, primed it with a few drops, and it started right up! Now I am off to buy new batteries for it, fluids, and an external fuel filter. The brakes don't pump up at all, but it came with a new master cylinder, and the bleeder nipples on the rear wheels look new. One step at a time. H.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks