• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I will have to tow 1031A - Anyone tried (what do you think) a tow dolly?

disasterguy

From SD to Ga around June 1st, cannot seem to find the information on the best way to tow it. For example, I am assuming 4 wheels down, in neutral, front locks disengaged, but no drive shafts need to be removed. Jump in and someone tell me the correct procedure, all thoughts welcome. Thanks Gary harpstergary@hotmail.com 605-553-040520201210_153954.jpg

Last edited:

Keith_J

I towed mine with a medium tow bar set behind a F250 Crew cab. Rear driveshaft removed, transfer case in neutral, hubs unlocked, batteries disconnected, key in and on run position. No issues, just keep speed moderate and huge following distance. Get magnetic mount tow lights.

This was 1200 miles. The only thing in the stock 1031 was two NATO cables.. auction bonus which offset the buyers premium.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
X2 on what Keith advised. If you have to back up, turn the key off or the wheels will go to full steer.
What is sticking out of the hood? Looks like a bird feeder but maybe it’s a fording extension?

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is the kind of thing I like a good trailer for or best of all solutions is pay a little to have it on someone elses trailer and they take care of all the driving etc. its a small pickup I would bet it wouldn't cost much!

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I towed my M1028A2 home with the rear driveshaft removed (u-joint caps taped on and driveshaft tied up) using my '99 F350. Transmission was in park, transfercase in neutral. Make sure the front locking hubs really are disengaged (pull forward and check the front driveshaft for rotation) because I had one that did not and I had to pull it. I aired the front tires to max pressure and made sure the rears weren't flat.

Make sure you have enough weight in the towing vehicle so the towed vehicle can't push it around.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I bought my M1008 way back when, I flat towed it from Baxley GA to Union Point GA then back to West Palm Beach FL. I thought about removing the driveshaft but went another route. I had Kert at DYI4X cut me some block off plates for where the axle shafts bolt to the hub. I simply used an impact and pulled the shafts out and replaced them with the blanks. If I ever use them again, I will likely put a little plug in there where I can drip in some extra gear oil to replace what dripped out when removing the axle shafts. Also, I had him make them out of 1/4 inch and should have chosen 3/8 as the bolts bottomed out without washers. This was a faster option for me rather than crawling under the truck.

Matt S

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I towed mine from Seattle to LA, I removed the rear drive shaft and duct taped a pair of rubber gloves over the 205 output shaft. I left the steering wheel unlocked. Towed pretty well.

Skinny

I think since it has a 205 case you go neutral in the tcase but park in the trans. Transmission can't spin since it won't lubricate without the engine spinning. Tcase lubes as the rear outout spins which spins the gears which lubricates right?

Personally I'd hook on to that periscope sticking out of the hood and pull it home till it comes off. Then pick it up off the side of the road, go back to whoever sold it to you, and beat the with it.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

Reactions: NDT

Skinny

Jeez man what were you driving through? Maybe upgrade for a submarine. I'm not going to lie, I enjoy watching trucks ford through water. Take a gander at some Camel Trophy on YouTube. Those guys are up to the roof in water. But you cut a perfectly good hood

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

Rocknus

Flat tow it with t-case in neutral and wheels set to free spin. Transmission in park, battery disconnected and key on so steering wheel is not locked. Remove just the end of the driveshaft from the axle, but tie it up and leave it partially installed in the truck (or get a "plug" made.) If you pull it completely out you can still lose tranny fluid all over the place on your ride home. I've flat towed a number of these with a Ram Power Wagon this way. No issues. Watch yourself in any turn, especially when braking. The weight pushing from behind can jackknife you very easily.

cucvrus

Sir he started towing this 8 months ago. I hope he is at his destination at this point. Thank you for your advise. And using a Dodge to tow a Chevrolet is a disgrace to the Bow-Tie Army. I used my M1028 to tow a Ford F350 home once and I got a lot of thumbs up and wise cracks at fueling stations. What ever works. I am just funning with you.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Like we have said before...
If we can't have fun - why bother - and this looks like FUN to me!

ROFLPIMP.png

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks