• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I wish I had it back!

aboonski

In 1968 I had just graduated from AF basic training at Amarillo AFB TX and got my first assignment to the 6550th USAF Hospital at Patrick AFB Florida. When I got back into town (Melbourne Florida was my home town in '68) I needed transportation and found a 1952 military jeep in our local paper for sale for $500.00. Back then, M38s were cheap! This one had a hardtop and was 100% pure - no modifications at all. I remember it even had a primer system on the dash for hard starts and the remnants of some kind of radio equipment in back of the dash; supposedly, this jeep was once a general's jeep. I drove it for several weeks with the hard-starting 4-banger and came to the conclusion that it needed new life under the hood. To make a long story short, I pulled out the jeep engine and added a Ford 289 via a TransAdapt on the front of the stock tranny and the longer input spline from a 6-cylinder jeep. The rest is history. I sold the jeep when I got an assignment to Johnson Air Base Japan and, sadly, saw it in a locally owned junkyard when I returned from Japan two years later. All I have left is the technical manual for the M38 and a few photos of how I destroyed a perfectly good military jeep. One day I hope to by another 52 M38 with the tailgate that drops and the headlight protectors over the headlights. I plan to keep that one the way it was when the military first took possession of it! I hope the photos will post to this thread..... Anybody want to trade their Jeep for an M35A2C??????

Attachments

aboonski

Here's the right photo - sorry about that!

I guess I am getting old and make these kind of mistakes because of that! The lady in the previous post is Faye and this photo was taken years ago when we first started dating; we are still together 15 years later. She likes ice cream a whole lot!

Anyway, here's the correct photo plus one more of the jeep after the 4-cylinder was pulled.

Attachments

aboonski

RE: Here

Thanks Ruppster! I am still working on your want list. I took the jack out of the 89 K5 Blazer but don't know if it is the correct jack for the M1009 - but it does have that crank that folds in the middle. Let me know if you want a photo of it and the other parts before I start packing everything. Alan

m35a2cowner

Long shot

You know I know its a real big long shot but have you ever been back there to if any part of it exists (even the junkyard) in the junkyard? Imagine find a part and building a working vehicle from it. Stuff movies made from and probably get you quite a bit of satisfaction. I know, I know; probably a pipe dream....but what if? Could be the greatest I want it back story ever told.

aboonski

The junkyard is long gone!!!!

m35a2cowner, The junkyard where the jeep wound up is another story! I bought the 289 from the owner of the same junkyard which was known as Zacke's Auto Parts back in the early 70's. The owner murdered the owner of another junkyard north of town and is now serving out a life sentence here in Florida somewhere. His junkyard and everything in it was auctioned off years ago! When I saw the jeep piled on top of another car it kind of made me want to buy it back but for some reason I just walked away. That hardtop alone was one thing worth salvaging!

m35a2cowner

Long shot

Well I thought it might be a little to much to hope for. Maybe keep an eye open for another one to relive the good old days. Sometimes I long for my first first car, 1966 Olds 442 although I really miss my first truck 1969 Ford Econoline 302 with 3 on the tree.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks