• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I would appreciate advice

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have restored and rebuilt a low mileage M1028 truck and love it, however after 2 back surgeries and 2 hip replacements the factory bench seat is killing me. I'm considering taking the thing out and replacing it with a pair of HMMWV seats. Has anybody had any experience with this sort of custom application? I recognize I will need to fabricate custom rails and attachments and am up to the task. I've got to do something.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Here's what I am considering -

s-l1600.jpg

fnpurist

That's an mrap seat. If you use an actual hmmwv high back seat with commanders base, you can buy all the mounting hardware and reinforcing plates from Lasmer industries. I have back problems also and the highback seat is very supportive and comfortable to me

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's an mrap seat. If you use an actual hmmwv high back seat with commanders base, you can buy all the mounting hardware and reinforcing plates from Lasmer industries. I have back problems also and the highback seat is very supportive and comfortable to me
Thanks. This is the info I am looking for. Where would you suggest the best place to obtain those HMMWV high back seats with commander bases?

dilvoy

The Humvee seat bottoms are foam over a steel plate. No spring suspension like cars usually have so they might not be comfortable enough for you.

I put 4 of those very same MRAP seats in my HMMWV:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...st-94-M998A1&p=1777933&viewfull=1#post1777933

While I have no idea what it will take to install these in your M1028 truck, let me give you some basic advice. The seats are mounted on rails and there are holes at the front and back of the rails. The holes are 5/16" or 3/8"... can't remember which. So you will basically need 4 bolts and washers per seat plus your nuts and washers for the backside. I used socket cap bolts with lock washers so that they fit nicely between the seat rails for the top side. On the bottom side I used lock nuts and standard washers.

I can't say how much they will help your back & hip, but they are really nice, comfortable seats.

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The commander highback seat from a Hmmwv is just a seat with 4 long studs sticking out the bottom.
The Hmmwv drivers highback is bolted to an adjustable base ** foward / aft, Up / Down }.

fnpurist

Thanks. This is the info I am looking for. Where would you suggest the best place to obtain those HMMWV high back seats with commander bases?
Go to eBay and search " hmmwv high back seat " . You can find them other places online for around $800 a set but will probably get it cheaper if you hunt on eBay. You will need to use 2 driver adjustable seat bases not commanders base sorry

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You guys are forgetting that the CUCV pickup's floor is not flat and low like a HMMWV or M1009, there is the raised hump for the fuel tank. Getting some kind of suspension base in there for the stiff highback seat is going to be a challenge. If you firm mount the highback seat to the floor, the jarring will make your back problems worse. Sorry I don't have anything better to add.

dependable

Pretty sure the 1009 seats fit. That is what was used in the 1010 also, which has the same floor as a pickup.

I guess they are more supportive than a bench seat, maybe a little more comfortable.

You guys are forgetting that the CUCV pickup's floor is not flat and low like a HMMWV or M1009, there is the raised hump for the fuel tank. Getting some kind of suspension base in there for the stiff highback seat is going to be a challenge. If you firm mount the highback seat to the floor, the jarring will make your back problems worse. Sorry I don't have anything better to add.
That was my thought as well.

Hoefler

I have a less than best back myself. I have found that when I can sit in a seat-chair, that the higher the chair is, the better. The more vertical my lower legs are, the less stress on my back. The more my legs are out in front of me-like in a sportscar, the more stress on my back.
Pete

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks everyone for your comments.

I have purchased 2 new HMMWV high-back seats and plan to retrofit them into my M1028. Haven't a clue how I will accomplish the task, however I will photo-document the process, whether successful or not, in my rebuild thread.