• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I'd like to help out

BIG_RED

I've been on this forum for a while now, and it's great. I have received tons of help from knowledgeable, friendly people. I try to make a regular habit of going on and answering other members questions as best I can. But I want to take "giving back" to another level. I've started this thread to list off things that I know about from experience, and invite members to PM me for help with these things so that I can help them out and we can make useful threads together (with pics and all) for everyone. I invite everyone to do the same on this thread, and hope that it could become sort of like a "phone book" for who knows about what, so we all know who to ask about stuff.

Lets try to keep it easy to read, by stating what machine you've worked on as a heading, followed by what you know about on it.

CUCV: (specifically M1009)

glowplugs
lift (low pressure fuel) pump
water pump replacement
electrical repair
heater repair
power steering (pump, linkages, hoses, etc)
brake booster
transmission flush / adjustment
changing all fluids
fuel additives
air filters
33" tires
intake manifold removal / install
pulley replacement
fan replacement
coolant / engine cooling system
block heaters / cold weather preparedness
accessory brackets, belts, alternators, front end of engine
sensors, all the silly extra wires
fuel filter base repair
fuel filter replacement set up - spin on
fuel lines replacement
rad leak repair
starting problems
driving problems
strange noises
radio installation (both FM and CB)
interior luxuries (heated seats, extra gauges, carpet, dashboard, etc)
tailgate repair

Small engines: (generators, lawnmowers, snowblowers, pressure washers, etc.)

Carburetor
engine rebuilds
electrical
getting running
governor
modification

I'd be happy to help anyone with all of the above. I'm sure there's more I've forgotten. Will edit as I think of things.

Also experienced in redneck on the fly repairs.. EX: plugging holes in fuel filter base with pieces of hockey puck cut up with a pocket knife to get home, using parts of a bicycle found in dumpster to fix leaky heater hose to get home, repairing cheap chinese generator with old snowblower engine parts (from a different brand) that outlasted a friends honda, etc, etc

Also, I live in Winnipeg, MB, Canada. If you're close by and need help - PM me.
Thanks again to everyone! and GOOD LUCK! :grd:

condor16

Thanks for the offer of help! I've been hanging around this board for a couple of months while shopping around for a M1009 and now waiting for the EUC to clear, so I'm still in the learning/info-gathering stage of what could turn into a MV habit...

I've been very impressed by the members here - lots of practical advice from the basics to more advanced issues, and a lot of very active members stepping up to help everyone out. With a Jeep that's currently in the middle of an (endless) ground-up rebuild, I appreciate the vehicle-focused, no-nonsense approach that everyone here seems to take to these trucks.

I can't offer any advice, but I've resolved to do a better job of documenting repairs and modifications to the M1009 than I did with the CJ-5. This is mostly to help me retrace my own steps and figure out where I went astray, but I'll try to post them on here - for amusement/illustration purposes if nothing else. :lol: (It could be that my purpose in life/vehicle repair is to serve as a warning to others!)