• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

idea for a custom Deuce

TaylorTradingCo

I picked up this nice old 1951 Ford F-8 Big Job a few weeks ago, with the intent of taking the cab off and mounting it on a Deuce chassis. Then I could have the reliable diesel engine (whistler of course) and 4WD of a Deuce and the classic body of this thing. I plan to bob the rear down to one axle, but leave it fairly long, 9-10'. Not sure what to do with the bed yet. I have a dropside Deuce bed I shortened to 9' that I might make a dump bed out of.

I am a little hesitant now that I got it in, since it is in such good original condition, and the F-8's are pretty rare. It really has to be a F-7 or F-8 though, because they had much wider fenders to accommodate the commercial grade tires. It even uses 20" split rims, just like the Deuce, only these are eight lugs.

This has always been my favorite old body style, or new for that matter. I decided it's time to start doing a few project for myself.

Derek

Attachments

TaylorTradingCo

then it got worse

As I was all excited about my new toy, I got to looking around at others. I accidentally bought this one today. I literally just couldn't pass up the deal I got in it.

Check out the awesome bed it has on it. It is clean and open so you can use it for regular hauling, may even install a fifth wheel flip over ball in the bed when I get it home, but it has this massive boom truck winch kit thingy on it. The two poles along the side of the bed swing up, connect in the center, and with a huge block and tackle turn it into a wrecker of sorts.

I think it is the most beautiful thing I have ever seen.

Derek

Attachments

TaylorTradingCo

I think I understand how most of it works, but I don't know what the big round tube on the rear of the bed is for? Does it spin so that you can pull stuff up onto the bed?

Yes, it's what all winch trucks in the oilfield have. It allows you to winch on skid mounted equipment with less wear and tear from metal on metal rubbing. Looks like a sweet truck.

As I was all excited about my new toy, I got to looking around at others. I accidentally bought this one today. I literally just couldn't pass up the deal I got in it.

Check out the awesome bed it has on it. It is clean and open so you can use it for regular hauling, may even install a fifth wheel flip over ball in the bed when I get it home, but it has this massive boom truck winch kit thingy on it. The two poles along the side of the bed swing up, connect in the center, and with a huge block and tackle turn it into a wrecker of sorts.

I think it is the most beautiful thing I have ever seen.

Derek
what does that truck run under the hood? I just got a 1949 Ford 1 ton that has been my grandpas since new. Glad I could keep it in the family and hopefully bring it back to life.

Another Ahab

I picked up this nice old 1951 Ford F-8 Big Job a few weeks ago, with the intent of taking the cab off and mounting it on a Deuce chassis. Then I could have the reliable diesel engine (whistler of course) and 4WD of a Deuce and the classic body of this thing. I plan to bob the rear down to one axle, but leave it fairly long, 9-10'. Not sure what to do with the bed yet. I have a dropside Deuce bed I shortened to 9' that I might make a dump bed out of.
Derek
Frankenstein's_monster_(Boris_Karloff).jpg

rustystud

Clean.
And
Simple.

Man. That's pretty.
Yes it's a beautiful truck and should be left alone in my opinion. Of course opinion's are like bung holes. Everyone has one and they all stink ! Still a well restored truck like that deserves to be left alone and admired by all .
I would modify the first truck since it already needs work.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks