• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Idea for M-1082 RV Conversion

agazza2

Well I am thinking about building a RV shelter on the M-1082. Some of my criteria for this build is not to modify the M-1082 trailer, but just add a shelter. Also the shelter could always be moved to the M-1078 and sit on the same bed.

After doing the M-146 a few years ago, I decided this time to make getting the parts needed for the RV build by buying a light rolled over 2006 27' travel trailer for $325.00. I was able to completely gut out all the appliances, bathroom, gas lines, heater, water pump, water heater, couch/bed and AC. This will significantly reduce the cost of the build.

For the box, I have been doing a lot of research and found that a 12' ambulance box will set right onto the M-1082. I will gut out some of the cabinets, and build in others along with a bunk bed set up at one end, along with the fold out couch/bed. Here is a photo shop photos I have been working on, plus a few photos of others that have made these boxes into RVs.

One thing I learned about the Ambulance body it is very well constructed out of tuber aluminum, and meant to withstand a rollover. Plus they are fully wired with electrical outlets and lots of interior lighting. Still have to go pick-up the box, so for now this thread will be meant to gather ideas and suggestions.

M-1082-Ambulance box conversion.jpg1999-Ford-E-450-4x4-RV-cabin.jpge51d56496b34c09f1cbd9d5aa27a9e4b.jpgtrailer left side.jpgtrailer right rside.jpg

agazza2

Mark,

Typically this size comes off a 94--99 E350 Ford Ambulance. I have found a few I am looking at, some the boxes only, and others with the complete truck. The side compartments are done in diamond plate aluminum, and they usually have very large converters, battery boxes, ect. I will take off all the red emergency lights, but leave the white lights. I think covers over were the original lights went would work.

A few military items bolted to the side/back, and it may just blend right in :)

Last edited:

agazza2

I will be picking up the Ambulance box this weekend, it is basically the same size as a S-280 shelter. The height is only 2" higher, and width is right at 8 feet. Some very good youtube videos out there on people converting these boxes to RVs. If you compare the box to what is on the CUCV ambulances, it is very similar in design,. I will post some photos of the recovery and placement on the trailer this weekend.

61sleepercab

One idea from an ambulance conversion to deal with some built in red lights, I just spray painted them white and pulled the fuse to them. No need to cover holes if you removed them. Have fum Mark

agazza2

Ambulance body sitting on trailer. The wheel wells will get a cover and be additional storage area and provide access the the underneath of the shelter (This is the basement model :) ). I do need to change out my sway bar bushings, as one is missing and you can see the trailer sway at the top. I will also remove the majority of high mounted cabinets to get the center of gravity lower.

All exterior lights will be removed, and complete shelter painted tan.

Attachments

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How does it tow with the extra weight? My 1082 was great on flat roads but the slightest incline would seriously drag the MPH down.

tobyS

Nice idea, and I will be following. I have a couple s-280 boxes and would like to do this one day.
Hey Dan, I have the S-788 box and have the same thing in mind. I got a cheap M1101 and have cut it to fit the box with 4" between the bottom and the floor of the trailer. Now I'm considering mounting tubes from the axle to make a front and rear porch, thus making it longer. If they are under the axle, it will help lower the center of gravity.

Attachments

Last edited:

tobyS

Thanks DanM, No, not yet. Was having camera problems and just got a couple loaded.

I put it up as DanM7890 has the S-250 shelter and he could use a similar trailer. I think they are the same length as my S-788 but have a wheel-well going full length. Cutting only the front down and not the sides would be very possible and a trailer like the OP has posted, open sides, would not be necessary (if Dan were so inclined). Even a 105 would work. Sorry, I didn't mean to divert the thread.

agazza2

Progress on conversion

I have made good progress on the interior the last few weeks. First was to remove all the cabinets from the top walls which I will not be using to lower the center of gravity and also open it up for sleeping, seating, and a kitchen. These areas I have already roughed in, and will start on finishing them out prior to freeing up additional room for a small shower & toilet. Here are a few photos of the progress made over the last three weeks. Also have started on the outside, and removed all blue stripes, and half of the emergency lighting. I will prep the box for painting in early October.

Attachments

agazza2

How does it tow with the extra weight? My 1082 was great on flat roads but the slightest incline would seriously drag the MPH down.
Mark,

I only towed it a few miles. one flat ground it was not a problem with the weight, but hills may be different. Still debating on whether I should just remove the heavy bed of the trailer and just set this right down on the frame. It would be at least 16" lower :) Or the other idea is just to set it on the truck after it is finished and has a military appearance.

tobyS

I misunderstood, I thought the first photo was what you were using, now I see the ambulance body. When you speak of leaving the bed, that is the bed of your M1082 trailer that you are referring to, correct? If you want it to be like the first photo, it would have to go straight onto the frame (with proper mounting). Since you have significant frame, you could even build a frame and rack above it, supported mostly at the ends.

Make another trailer from the bed with tandem Dexters that can pull at highway speeds. I made 2 from a 105 that way and we (the guy that bought it and I) liked it being lower.

Last edited:

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's looking good Allen. I think you might appreciate having it 16" lower. It would cut down some on the wind resistance as it looks like it would be under the height of the truck cargo cover and lower your center of gravity.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks