• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ideal Mechanic Resume for M1088 Work

Givinup

Hope everyone is doing good. I'm beginning to get to the point in my build where the work needed, or preventative for the truck is past my knowledge, tool capacity, time availability etc etc. I've visited the CAT dealership to schedule service, and also asked for recommended HD mechanics around my area (Oklahoma City). I've spoken with a few and we've walked around the truck. Just like hiring an employee/vendor/contractor/sub for work (something I have to do several times a month) I am going about my truck maintenance and build the same way. I have a build schedule, items necessary for completion, and now need to finalize the vendor/mechanic/sub/trade for each piece of work.

When looking for a mechanic to perform preventative maintenance, qualify systems and repair if needed (excluding engine & tranny), what prior experience would you all look for and say is a 'must'. I'm sure there are obvious answers and smart a** answers that'll tell me 'the ones that know everything about the truck'. This is an area I don't have experience with, and would like suggestions prior to making a decision.

Are there past shops, trade areas, etc better than others for HD truck/military chassis? Would a prior National/Army mechanic be the best? Do these trucks use enough systems that other HD mechanics good at their trade would be able to competently work on?

Any suggestions or thoughts are appreciated. It'll save me some time and potential headache making a poor decision on a mechanic.

snowtrac nome

if you can find some one who has or is working at a national guard shop as a wg mechanic, that would be your best bet. I'm Shure there are some highly qualified active duty wrenches out there, but the army is focusing less on mos training and more on mp type training these days, letting contractors do all the maintenance. I was shocked how little my active duty counterparts knew when I was deployed.

DiverDarrell

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For the most part the engine, trans stuff is standard medium duty truck stufff that any hd cat mechanic should be able to handle. The axles, ctis, electrical and non civi stuff requires a different set of knowledge. Finding a one stop shop will be difficult, while a schedule may be easy to keep for the basics, unless the mechanic has previous experience and special tools the mil stuff will blow your schedule for research, parts finding, and tool sourcing. Also expect to spend $$$ there or just do it yourself throughout the build. Knowledge of these systems will pay for themselves with the ability to diagnose and repair in the field. Wish you the best of luck, and enjoy your truck.

Givinup

if you can find some one who has or is working at a national guard shop as a wg mechanic, that would be your best bet. I'm Shure there are some highly qualified active duty wrenches out there, but the army is focusing less on mos training and more on mp type training these days, letting contractors do all the maintenance. I was shocked how little my active duty counterparts knew when I was deployed.
Thanks for the response. Do you know what contractors or outfits they outsource the maintenance to?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Givinup

For the most part the engine, trans stuff is standard medium duty truck stufff that any hd cat mechanic should be able to handle. The axles, ctis, electrical and non civi stuff requires a different set of knowledge. Finding a one stop shop will be difficult, while a schedule may be easy to keep for the basics, unless the mechanic has previous experience and special tools the mil stuff will blow your schedule for research, parts finding, and tool sourcing. Also expect to spend $$$ there or just do it yourself throughout the build. Knowledge of these systems will pay for themselves with the ability to diagnose and repair in the field. Wish you the best of luck, and enjoy your truck.
I'm hoping to find someone with prior knowledge of the mil spec or systems on these trucks, but don't know where to source that from. From there I'd like to learn from that individual as they do the work (so I'm not learning by trial and error which is both costly frustrating and slow). This will hopefully help me diagnose and keep up to good working order in the field.

I've read through the main TMs but not the troubleshooting ones yet. While I think the work can be learned, having an individual with prior knowledge will save time and money.

Not sure where to look for this individual however

snowtrac nome

Go to your local national guard CSMS, UTES, or OMS shop, likely there will be some one there willing to help on weekends or after hours. Maybe even for nothing more than an ice cold beer.

DiverDarrell

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Skookum had the contract for ft Lewis wa for a while. I believe they had some in ga as well. As for doing it yourself just search this forum. Lots of knowledge here. Thanks to steelsoldiers I’ve installed 90% of the ac system. Re built air brakes, adjusted axles, installed high speed gears, fixed door handles, upgraded head lights, upgraded the alternator, sound seasoning added, troubleshooting oil leaks, added rear camera. Knowledge here runs deep.

Givinup

Skookum had the contract for ft Lewis wa for a while. I believe they had some in ga as well. As for doing it yourself just search this forum. Lots of knowledge here. Thanks to steelsoldiers I’ve installed 90% of the ac system. Re built air brakes, adjusted axles, installed high speed gears, fixed door handles, upgraded head lights, upgraded the alternator, sound seasoning added, troubleshooting oil leaks, added rear camera. Knowledge here runs deep.
This forum has been a tremendous help and great source of knowledge. Unfortunately, I work 70-80 hours a week and have to come home to be with the wife. In the time period I'd like the truck to be finished to enjoy out in the wild, I am going to need to gather as much knowledge as I can, and then hire out a lot of the work. I'd love to have the know how to do it in the event I need to, but it'll be a 3 year project if I do all of the work myself.

Givinup

What are some prevailing hourly wage rates for mechanics? I'm balancing between paying per job and per hour. I don't want rushed work, so expect I'll use a per hour basis with a time allotment and approval for additional work based on a case by case basis.

I'd be interested to know cost per hour for a shop rate vs on the side gig for a mechanic.

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A shop will probably be around $100/hr, give or take.

Like was suggested before, there is probably a military motor pool around somewhere that you might be able to make friendly with and get some first-hand help. Around me, a couple smaller local HD truck shops also have at least one mechanic that is former military vehicle mechanic.

In the absence of that, what I would probably look for is a small local shop with a lot of odd stuff in their yard (e.g. HD trucks, heavy equipment, etc.) than is willing to work with you. If they are comfortable working on lots of different stuff, and you can supply them the manuals, this stuff shouldn't be too far out of their wheelhouse. If they have to source parts for you they will likely be very expensive, and they're charging you time to do it ($100/hr), so you should explain up front that you want to do that yourself and make sure they are comfortable with the truck sitting for a week or two here and there as you wait for parts.

snowtrac nome

What are some prevailing hourly wage rates for mechanics? I'm balancing between paying per job and per hour. I don't want rushed work, so expect I'll use a per hour basis with a time allotment and approval for additional work based on a case by case basis.

I'd be interested to know cost per hour for a shop rate vs on the side gig for a mechanic.
I'm out in bush ak I get 130 per hour as a field tech, but I will likely be going over 150 per hour next summer. Your rates should be less unless you live in new York

rigsales

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello, How much work does it need? Can you drive it to a shop or do they need to come to you?
What year is it and how many miles on it? Did it come straight from the military?
I own a 1088 and live in NE Ok so I might be able to help you out or point you in the right direction.

99nouns

In my experience I have met with mechanics that were ex-military in chain heavy duty truck repair places, it seems as they get grabbed off immediately after the military service, I would check places like Kenworth, Peterbilt, Cummins Onan, International, or Westernstar dealers and try to speak with service department manager, because of their extensive knowledge they are mostly are the managers so they can tell you if they have a tech or if he is a ex military and would be willing to take the supervisory responsibility of it, which will bring back lot of memories so he will be willing but expect to pay a whole lot.

I even met one in Mickey Truck Body or even check with Supreme Co Truck Body Morgan Co

scottmandu

Just a few cents regarding hiring a mechanic "on the side" and using a reputable shop.. Unless your mechanic is true to his word don't count on there being any sort of warranty, plan on paying for their screw ups and any parts that they may have damaged in the process. At least in my locale mechanics as side jobs will want at least $40 an hour, if not more.

Givinup

Hello, How much work does it need? Can you drive it to a shop or do they need to come to you?
What year is it and how many miles on it? Did it come straight from the military?
I own a 1088 and live in NE Ok so I might be able to help you out or point you in the right direction.
Not much work. It's great condition, just work to prep it before I start an expo build. I'm not familiar with the military systems, so I don't know what to look for if it's about to fail.

It's a 2001/2010 bae m1088a1. 1,012 miles when I bought it, 1,100 now. Purchased from a member on the forum, who bought it at auction.

Glad to hear of someone in Oklahoma with another m1088.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks