• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ideas for a suitable S280 hauler?

Jeepsinker

I'm in a sort of conundrum about a permanent use trailer for hauling my S280 that I'm converting into a camper. I have an M1061 trailer that I recovered it with, but the issue I have is that it is way heavier than it needs to be for the application. The trailer alone weighs a bit over 5000 pounds, with a payload of 10,000 pounds, but the completed camper should weigh in just under 3,000 pounds. I've looked the 1061 over fairly well now and there isn't much fat to trim, but it is nice that it has a low deck to keep the shelter fairly low and not too top heavy. I was pondering lengthening a 105 frame and splicing part of another bed on to make it look right, but it seems like it would sit too high. Are there any other suitable military trailers ( other than a shelter dolly, which I don't trust for highway transport) that might be suitable and lighter than the 1061? I feel like I'm missing something.

m715mike

I believe there were pictures floating around awhile back where someone used a Deuce frame and rear axels to make a "trailer" for their shelter.

goldneagle

Juanprado has a shelter dolly sitting in my yard. Tires are like new. Really nice shape. I am sure he would give you a real good deal on it.

2nd idea: What about a bolster trailer?

Jeepsinker

I want to stay away from the shelter dolly. I don't trust them after the threads about them breaking just being moved around in a yard. A bolster trailer might be better. What do they weigh?

Jeepsinker

That's only a couple hundred pounds lighter than the 1061. Negligible improvement at best. I may just have to build something after all. Am I the only one that doesn't trust the shelter dolly for highway use?

goldneagle

That's only a couple hundred pounds lighter than the 1061. Negligible improvement at best. I may just have to build something after all. Am I the only one that doesn't trust the shelter dolly for highway use?
If you look at one on GOOGLE you can see that there is plenty of metal that can be removed from a bolster trailer. All you need is the bare frame. You can probably shorten the front extension too.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would love to sell you the dolly......

But, In all truth; it was the squirliest craziest unnatural thing I have ever towed. When I left the GP yard in Mobile I went to my hotel to check out and went through all the bolts holding it together. Some were loose and I went through the whole rig, Tires, lug nuts etc.

I towed it 2 hours in the rain to GoldnEagle's house and it was just plain exciting to say the least. It like to sway like crazy and fishtail. Tried 45mph then 50 -55 . It did not like any steady speed really.

Now After I got it to Zev's house, he showed me how to inflate the air bags. Duh, as I thought they were tied to the air/hydraulic brakes which were not hooked up but they have individual shradder valves on each bag. It might have rode better with some air, don't know for sure.

I think there is a reason all the $28K dollies look new when surplussed.....

Jeepsinker

And as fast as my truck will run now it would probably be real bad. I honestly believe they were only meant to transport shelters around maneuver areas and storage fields at low speed.

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What about that 1061 hulk that will be coming your way? Maybe some slicing and dicing could work? Thinking maybe a couple long pieces of angle to cradle it and tie downs. Put all that on the base frame and suspension?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Went through a similar discussion with a friend here. There is just nothing coming out of the inventory that is suitable for your needs. Ultimately he will be building a sub chassis and using a tandem car trailer type suspension. They are not heavy at all. I think I would have a looksee at stretching an M105 and using the M1061 or bolster rolling stock. Frankly, you just don't need the tandems and keeping the height down offers less resistance and eases ingress and egress.

Gunzy

Befor you chop up an M105 you may consider an M103A3 trailer chassis. No bed to mess with and would probably be easy to lengthen and still have your air over hydraulic brakes, and rear stabilizer jack. I have an unused NOS one here in Utah it this interests you.

Jeepsinker

Hadn't thought about the 103. Reason I was thinking about the 105 is because they can be had here for free without title. Then, once I cut and splice and lengthen it I could get a home made trailer title. The 1061 I'm getting from you, Mr. Wheelspinner, would work with your idea, if the wheels, axles, and suspension weren't going to Uruguay.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
M103A3 is the chassis used for the M105. Should be some floating around without a body considering all the bobbed trucks sporting trailer beds.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You might want to see what tennmoger did as he had his rig at the rally. He had the stretched m105 chassis with the tires mounted further back for his foreign radio box. He moved the wheels back as the box had a wheel well but I don't think that would apply to you. Looked great. He has a thread here on it.

Other advantage is you would be using the same rim/tire for a spare as your deuce.

Doesn't the A3 have that skinny 22.5 rim/tire ?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The M105A3 has the skinny 22.5 but the M103A3 is the same chassis that the M105A2 uses. My thought with bolster tires was to lower the height of the living quarters.

Jeepsinker

I saw that rolling shack of his there. It looked well done for sure. The bolster tires would be great for getting the load lower, but I'll have to find some more.

Having the same tires on the truck and trailer isn't a concern for me. You know I'm about to switch from 11.00 ndt to G177s, so it's whatever as far as that goes.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks