• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ideas for charging the batteries in an Oshkosk M1070

slogutis

Hi guys,

I've been searching the forums and couldn't find anything pertaining to my situation, so I thought i'd take a chance and ask. I've got a 1999 M1070 (all original without the battery cutoff switch) and I have battery drainage issues. I intend to put a cutoff switch in soon, but want solutions for charging and maintaining the four 6TL (12v) batteries. They are connected in series and are responsible for both a 24v and 12v system.

Instead of disconnecting the batteries and charging each separately, is there a way to charge them through the slave port? Since there is both a 24v and 12v sytem, which voltage power of a charger should I use...24 or 12? Or, because they are in series or whatever...am I not able to do so? Could I hook up a battery maintainer through the slave port? Just trying to find answers.

Thanks in advance and here is a pic from a fellow member of how the batteries are wired.

Brandon

Attachments

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
If you have 12 and 24v, they are not all connected in series.

Edit, could not find the battery diagram I was looking for. Yes I would charge through the slave port using a 24v charger. Just so you know, it will not keep the batteries in their best state of charge as if you were to do each one individually(using 12v charger).

Last edited:

slogutis

Ok, i'm not super privy to the terms nor how series and parallel works. Based on the pic above what would you call it? Thanks.

slogutis

Ok, thank you. I've read that as well but was only hoping to charge through the slave port when the batteries are dead or the truck won't start. Could I also use a trickle charger or battery tender through the slave port to keep the batteries fully charged all the time?

slogutis

Also, if I were to install a Solargizer how would you recommend it being done? One for each battery or would one work for all four? If only using one, where would I attach the positive and negative according to above diagram? Thanks.

slogutis

Pulsetech makes a charger specifically designed to charge and maintain through the slave port.
Would you happen to know the part number? I looked at their website but had no clue as to which one would work. I purchased a slave plug and cable set and was going to attach the charger through it. Would that be ok?

74M35A2

Cool truck. You can charge each parallel set with a standard 12v charger without disconnecting anything, but not through the slave port.

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
All 4 battery 24 volt US military trucks are wired like your diagram. I prefer two mounted 12 volt maintainers, one on each pair of batteries that are in parallel (the left two and the right two). When it's time to move out, I unplug the "shore line" and roll.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
All 4 battery 24 volt US military trucks are wired like your diagram. I prefer two mounted 12 volt maintainers, one on each pair of batteries that are in parallel (the left two and the right two). When it's time to move out, I unplug the "shore line" and roll.
When I was working out of state this is how I kept the batteries up on the 819

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Hi guys,

I've been searching the forums and couldn't find anything pertaining to my situation, so I thought i'd take a chance and ask. I've got a 1999 M1070 (all original without the battery cutoff switch) and I have battery drainage issues. I intend to put a cutoff switch in soon, but want solutions for charging and maintaining the four 6TL (12v) batteries. They are connected in series and are responsible for both a 24v and 12v system.

Instead of disconnecting the batteries and charging each separately, is there a way to charge them through the slave port? Since there is both a 24v and 12v sytem, which voltage power of a charger should I use...24 or 12? Or, because they are in series or whatever...am I not able to do so? Could I hook up a battery maintainer through the slave port? Just trying to find answers.

Thanks in advance and here is a pic from a fellow member of how the batteries are wired.

Brandon
Install a master ground switch, this will fix your issue.

slogutis

Cool truck. You can charge each parallel set with a standard 12v charger without disconnecting anything, but not through the slave port.
Thank you, I love it and have big plans for it someday. So, where would I attach my clamps to charge each parallel set invidually without disconnecting everything?

slogutis

Ok, cool. So, where would I place my battery maintainer clamps on each parallel set of batteries? I like this idea and hopefully can rig it up.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok, cool. So, where would I place my battery maintainer clamps on each parallel set of batteries? I like this idea and hopefully can rig it up.
On the positive and negative posts of either paralleled battery, does not matter.

slogutis

On the positive and negative posts of either paralleled battery, does not matter.
Sorry, that's where I'm confused. Looking at the attached diagram I posted, I'm not sure which positive on the left bank of batteries corresponds with the negative on the right bank of batteries. Unless all those connections don't matter. Would I be fine with just connecting one set of maintainer clamps to the negative and positive posts of the rear left battery and and the other set on the rear right battery? Thanks.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks