• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Identification help??

rmesgt

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello all... I have been working on my 1986 M1009. While working on my glow plug wiring harness, I discovered this plug.

Loose Plug.jpg
The wire is Blue with a Red chaser and it goes into this round plug. As best that I can tell, the wire comes from the block that holds the Glow Plug Circuit Board, but I cannot determine where it goes or what it plugs into. I tried to follow every wire in Figure 7 of TM 9-2320-289-20 but I couldn't find this wire or determine where it is supposed to go. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

cucvrus

I think and am 99.9 % sure that is for the fuel pump on the M1010 model only. Come on. I'm not the only one that knows that. Good Luck and Be Safe. I only know from years of experience.

rmesgt

Steel Soldiers Supporter
CUCVRUS... Thank you for quick response. I tinkered with this plug all day, tracing it into the cab and under the dash. At first I thought it went to the Glow Plug PCB, but with my continuity tester I ruled it out. I then decided to check the small plug that branched off of the PCB wiring harness. Once I was able to separate the plug, I was able to find the correct pin within the plug. I then looked at the other side of the plug and realized that there was no connector for this wire to continue.

Underdash Glow Plug Union w Markup.jpg
I have two theories for the presence of the "Fuel Pump Plug" identified in the initial post:

Theory 1. My 1986 M1009 is using a standardized wiring harness for both the M1009 and the M1010.
Theory 2. My 1986 M1009 has a different wiring harness than what was originally installed on my CUCV.

If you have any insights on either of these theories, please enlighten me.

On to another question - Is it possible to check the functionality of the Glow Plug PCB? I extracted the PCB from my nonfunctional M1009 and installed it in my FMC M1008. I then tried to start my truck. I turned my key to the "on" position and waited for the "WAIT" light to go out. I then tried to start my truck, but all it would do is crank. It would not/did not fire. I tried this twice, then extracted the M1009 PCB and reinstalled the M1008 PCB. My truck started right away. I concluded (perhaps incorrectly) that the M1009 PCB is faulty.

I also noticed that the PCB for my M1008 truck looks brand new while the PCB for the M1009 blazer looks old, tan,and washed out. If the PCB is bad or nonfunctional, how can I get a new one?

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello all... I have been working on my 1986 M1009. While working on my glow plug wiring harness, I discovered this plug.

The wire is Blue with a Red chaser and it goes into this round plug. As best that I can tell, the wire comes from the block that holds the Glow Plug Circuit Board, but I cannot determine where it goes or what it plugs into. I tried to follow every wire in Figure 7 of TM 9-2320-289-20 but I couldn't find this wire or determine where it is supposed to go. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

It has been awhile since I looked at the diagrams. From the -34 manual diagram E-7 you will find the 6 conductor connector just under the Ignition switch. That pin has nothing in it.

Now you have to go to diagram E-22 to find the same connector on the left side of the diagram. That pin has the blue-red wire that goes to the rear heater fuel pump. So CUCVRUS is 100% correct

GM sometimes used a standard harness across the military product line so that is why the wire is there. It serves no purpose outside the M1010

rmesgt

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It has been awhile since I looked at the diagrams. From the -34 manual diagram E-7 you will find the 6 conductor connector just under the Ignition switch. That pin has nothing in it.

Now you have to go to diagram E-22 to find the same connector on the left side of the diagram. That pin has the blue-red wire that goes to the rear heater fuel pump. So CUCVRUS is 100% correct

GM sometimes used a standard harness across the military product line so that is why the wire is there. It serves no purpose outside the M1010
Wow... you guys are so friggin knowledgable. I will never be able to learn and remember all of this stuff. Thank you for your reply

joshuak

It's real pleasure to see you post up Sir.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks