• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Identification plate

GrimRepo

Just bought my first M35A2. My OEM Identification Plate is missing. There was a piece of sheet metal with the information written in black marker. Which is worn and had to read. Since this vehicle has never been registered I have to have the VIN verified. How do I get a replacement? Do I just make one of my own? If it helps I live in GA.

Thanks for any Help

scrapman

Check your invoice and see what # they sold you. Then look on the frame in the left front wheelwell in the area of the shock mount & see if they match. If they do verification is a simple matter then. Did you get this from GL? If so just pay the $60 SF97 fee & get a title that way it sure can save a lot of headaches.

Last edited:

GrimRepo

The serial number matches the frame. But I need a plate with the VIN on it. So they can verify to get the truck registered. I bought it from a individual, so I do not how the original paperwork. I just have a bill of sale.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
If it were me, I would get a replacement plate from mvdataplates.com and have them stamp your VIN in it. You can verify your VIN by checking where it is stamped into the frame near the pitman arm.

Then have them inspect it.

That's what I would do.

Where in Ga do you live? Are you coming to the Ga Rally?

scrapman

The problem that you may have is buying on a "Bill of sale". This does not prove that the seller had legal ownership of the truck, it just shows that he sold it to you. If he got it from GL and did not get a SF97 you are in for a long hard road to getting paperwork that makes it yours. There has been cases of that very same situation on here and very few of them have happy endings. Title services have been used with success for a moderate fee, but they are getting to be fewer in numbers. Success or failure let us know how this plays out. The information you post will be useful to others.

datsunaholic

Isn't Georgia one of those weird States that doesn't require a title for vehicles over "x" years old? I seem to remember something like that- they won't even issue you one if you wanted it. But that wouldn't avoid needing the VIN inspection to get registration.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Isn't Georgia one of those weird States that doesn't require a title for vehicles over "x" years old? I seem to remember something like that- they won't even issue you one if you wanted it. But that wouldn't avoid needing the VIN inspection to get registration.
You are correct-you can thank the hillbillies in the legislature.

I don't remember the age (20?) but they will let you register it on a bill of sale as long as the VIN comes up in the system (and comes up clean).

I have a title for all of my old stuff ('69 Plymouth, '67 M35A2, etc.) but I had to ask for it at the tag office.

They then say "This state doesn't require a title on a vehicle that old"

To which you have to say "Well yes indeed, but what happens when I try to sell this vehicle to someone in one of the states that does require a title?"

That's usually the point that they say "Well, we'll send in your old title and see if Atlanta issues a new title".

Never had a vehicle where they didn't send a title.

scrapman

That may be quite true, the Ga. people on here would certainly know that. Tagging and titling varies from state to state as evidenced on this site quite frequently. I won't buy or sell without a clear title, this makes it easy for interstate transactions. Just don't want to see anyone get bit on the ass by an unseen snake.

GrimRepo

Thanks for your help. I went to the tag office, to ask in person. I was told as long as I had Bill Of Sale and they verify the VIN on the vehicle, then I could register my truck. I thank you for the link for the MV plates. I will keep you updated and will get some photos soon.

Thanks again !

jwaller

get the vin verification form from the tag office and you can have any trooper or county officer look at the truck and sign said form. take that and bill of sale back to tag office and your golden.

Hi guys! Just got my Paid in Full invoice for a GL auction win at WR. I'm bringing home my first deuce do Douglasville, GA! My wife would add, only deuce if i want to stay married.

Not to be redundant, but Item Pick-up Info says to have DL, Invoice, Proof of Ins and Registration. I think I need the SF-97 to register it. I can't apply for the SF-97 until after it has left the premisis.

That begs the question, how do I bring registration with me to pick it up in the first place? Am I over complicating this?

Understand in GA I have to go to Auto Dealers Assoc for a temporary tag to bring the deuce home.

Any other considerations I'm missing for the recovery? Thanks in advance and look forward to seeing everyone at the SS rally in Oct!

datsunaholic

The proof of registration and insurance is so you can bring your POV onto the base... Otherwise, they won't let you IN. You have to go through pass-and-ID first.

Getting OUT is no problem... at worst gotta show them an invoice; I just drove out the gate.

My neighbor has a tow truck, he went with me and I just used his magnetic TRANS plate. But I also had a transit pass available (3-day temp tag) if I needed it.

Last edited:
Many thanks for the explanation.

Does anyone know where I can find the procedures for titling a vehicle in Georgia with SF97 form? My local tag office is telling me I can not title it because it is too old and didn't have a previous title. I'm going to need to edumacate them.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks