• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Identify help.

Slate

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What are these? They are airforce planes I'm guessing training planes. Always low and over my house. 2 or three a day. Not the best pic but it's always when I don't have my phone.IMG_20200502_160122843.jpg

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Slate

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I live north of Ozona and these guys fly Southwest to Northeast every day. When I we as a kid and Goodfellow was flying we had jets fly the same pattern. I know this airspace is a major training area for the govt. Where are they coming and going to? I also have had these sometimes fly in a pattern back and forth above my house.signal-2020-05-02-205502.jpg

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thats a pretty bad picture but are you sure it isn't a Cessna T-37? Look at the shape of the wing. Plus when I was stationed in at NAS JRB Fort Worth we got them in ALL the time.
Hmmm. Certainly could be.

I hadn't studied the pic when I posted that WIKI on the Texan II.

There is a LOT of training in the skies above west Texas.

Doesn't the T-37 have that unmistakable WHISTLE to her jet sound?? Or am I thinking of another.
Isn't the T-37's nickname the TWEET (as in her sound)??

Slate

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll get a better picture in a few days. But it's definitely a prop on the front of it. Looks very much like a Texan.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If there's a prop it isn't a T37. The 37 has a distinctive sound (piercing almost). I also just looked, we got the T37's (I think out of Laughlin AFB). The T37 was replaced in 2009 with the T-6. Looks very similar but with a prop.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I like planes.......Is it a new Texan? The Texan 6

1280px-T-6A_Texan_II.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beechcraft_T-6_Texan_II#/media/File:T-6A_Texan_II.jpg looks like a Canadian CT156 Harvard. Let's hope it ends different.

HFIJCFBNMRVJDBJJQLHCUXVLVU.jpg

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bird, plane or Superman.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The T-37s are gone from service now, the T-6A is what replaced them.
There are three major training bases with T-6As in Texas - Randolph AFB, Sheppard AFB and Laughlin AFB.
In addition, NAS Corpus Christi operates the T-6B version, those ones are red/white as opposed to the Air Force white/dark blue.

They are called Texan II because they are the second aircraft to bear the name in US military service. Same goes for the P-47 Thunderbolt/A-10 Thunderbolt II, P-38 Lightning/F-35 Lightning II, etc.

The F-15 would have been Eagle II if the P-75 had gone into production.

Cheers

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
USAF Pilots currently "flying desks" at Goodfellow AFB here in San Angelo, TX have a T6 or two available to them at Mathis Field, San Angelo's Regional Airport since GAFB is NOT a flying base.
I do not know to what base these aircraft are actually assigned, but then ARE locally hangared under contract to Uncle Sam.
We must therefore wonder how many others are scattered about the countryside for maintaining pilot cockpit time and flight hours.

flashbucks

Hmmm. Certainly could be.

I hadn't studied the pic when I posted that WIKI on the Texan II.

There is a LOT of training in the skies above west Texas.

Doesn't the T-37 have that unmistakable WHISTLE to her jet sound?? Or am I thinking of another.
Isn't the T-37's nickname the TWEET (as in her sound)??
Only when the throttles are pulled to idle (in the air or on the ground)

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Only when the throttles are pulled to idle (in the air or on the ground)
AH-HA!!!

That explains why they so often TWEET when overflying our home.... We are 7 miles straight out from the threshold of the San Angelo Regional Airport, aka: Mathis Field, and it's longest runway's most used approach.

Many inbound aircraft deploy their landing gear within visual range of us. And, of course, they are adjusting throttle, flaps, and configuring for lower speeds and final approach.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks