• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Identify these parts on an LDT 465-1D

Gypsyman

Ran across an LDT 465-1D. Looking at the data plate it's the same contract number as my current engine. No info on the build date as I'm waiting for a clearer photo of the data plate. Unfortunately it doesn't appear to have stored very well.

What struck me as odd was the intake elbow and turbo. The intake elbow (Engine Water Outlet as .gov calls it) doesn't look like a standard turbo engine elbow. The turbo itself looks odd to me too. It doesn't match the photos that I've saved from the board comparing C and D turbos.

Edit: Finally found a picture of a 5 ton turbo that appears to be a match.

Thoughts?

LDT Markup (1).jpg LDT Markup (2).jpg LDT Markup (3).jpg

Last edited:

tommys2patrick

the five tons from the sixties had the air intake mounted on right front fender top. so having the elbow face that direction is probably why. if you can get a better picture of the data tag on the block it might confirm that it is actually an LDT or an LDS. I seem to recall the 5 tons had an engine very similar to the deuce but a little beefier power wise. I think it was an LDS 465. On the other hand I have seen people swap air intakes/canisters from deuce to five ton as the air cleaner access in a deuce is kind of a pain to get at

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ran across an LDT 465-1D. Looking at the data plate it's the same contract number as my current engine. No info on the build date as I'm waiting for a clearer photo of the data plate. Unfortunately it doesn't appear to have stored very well.

What struck me as odd was the intake elbow and turbo. The intake elbow (Engine Water Outlet as .gov calls it) doesn't look like a standard turbo engine elbow. The turbo itself looks odd to me too. It doesn't match the photos that I've saved from the board comparing C and D turbos.

Edit: Finally found a picture of a 5 ton turbo that appears to be a match.

Thoughts?

View attachment 861461 View attachment 861462 View attachment 861463
Looks like someone has swapped parts on it, randomly.... That waste-gate turbo is from an early 5-ton LDS465-1. The compressor housing, as well as that intake elbow should each be rotated 90deg CW. Although I'm not sure if both openings would perfectly align, after that.

Gypsyman

Looks like someone has swapped parts on it, randomly.... That waste-gate turbo is from an early 5-ton LDS465-1. The compressor housing, as well as that intake elbow should each be rotated 90deg CW. Although I'm not sure if both openings would perfectly align, after that.
That's the conclusion I came to late last night. Almost looks like someone may have tried to tie an intercooler into the system. Looks like it's a moot point as the seller is overpriced and doesn't want to start the engine for me.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks