• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Identify This Alternator?

devilman96

I believe that is the 12V/24V version of the hummer alternator... May be the 200 amp jobber but you should post the NSN or PN for it.

As for robing to much HP... I think a new mechanic is in order before a new alternator should be purchased! At least find one more knowledgeable with MV's as the size of that really isnt going to make any noticeable difference from the drivers seat.

moleary

Thanks Devil - so you would suggest keeping it versus buying a smaller one I take it? I sure don't want to buy a new one if it isn't going to make a big difference!

dilvoy

Well all of the Mil Alternators are HP suckers, because of the heavy rotating mass of the Armiture and maybe even the heavy cooling fan at the rear. Civi stuff is way lighter. Try spinning a 125 Amp civi alt shaft. There is way less weight there. There is also none of the 100% duty cucle or fully submersible stuff either. I don't know how much lighter a 60 amp alternator armiture is than the one that you have, but I'm pretty shure that you will have to change the brackets to make that change too. There are non Military 24 volt alternators around if you want to go that route.

Crazyguyla

It looks like an old 100 Amp alternator. The newer daul voltage alternators have a diffrent regulator on top and much bigger :-D

devilman96

Like mentioned their all pretty much bricks and by looking at the pic where I would say the body on that thing is pretty massive the armature looks to be about the same size as the 60's and 100's so unless your going to abandon having a MV and go the civi route your not going to gain anything...

And again... I don't think the gain would be noticeable but if you really want to know just yank the belt and run around the block with it...

Also... you have a 6.2... their dogs... they run well... they are very dependable... but they are dogs... get a 6.5T to go in there and go the re power route, going from 140 to 220HP would be noticeable!!!

Thanks Devil - so you would suggest keeping it versus buying a smaller one I take it? I sure don't want to buy a new one if it isn't going to make a big difference!

jwaller

I have the same alt on my hmmwv. it's the 100a version and it doesn't draw any more hp than any other. it only takes a few amps to make the lights work and the hp to produce that is going to be the same no matter what alt you run.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd keep it. It's pretty and the pulley has 3 grooves. Unless you want to go to a bigger one like 300 amps.