• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Identify this old crane?

proceed to strip the crane?

• Total voters

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Never ceases to amaze me what turns up on Steel Soldiers. The wheel you have pictured is the combat wheel from a 1951 M41 5 ton cargo truck, super rare, I have one and never thought I would see more. The M41 had wheel wells in the cargo bed like the M34 deuce. The truck pictured is a WWII Diamond T 4 ton 968A, would most likely been a cargo truck. The Insley crane is a post war civilian addition. Yes you can take the wheels, they would not have belonged on the Diamond T. But they do not fit the 6 hole Budd pattern, someone with a 5 ton would be better off with them.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Iinsley's were a good machine in their day . The military liked the Bay City cranes back in that era , they could pick up a crane the same size and load it on a ship then use the one on the ship to load the other one off the dock none of the rest of them could do that.

KsM715

I believe NDT answered your question. If you can get them cheap (or even better, free) save them. Someone may need them for a restore job someday.

Jimma

See if you can get them for a bargain and save them from the crusher. Someone, somewhere will want to buy them from you.

panshark

well, the guy that has it has retained it mostly intact, the front cab is kinda trashed though. He said the front winch was torched off last month, but is still lying around. If anyone wants more pics etc let me know.

Danger Ranger

Save the crane!

Save the crane! That may be a civilian addition, but in restoration you could save the wheels for something else, and save the crane/truck with them. :!:Its a piece of Americana, to put it in a corny way.:deadhorse:
Plus, it would be awesome.;-)

Last edited:

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
My thought on the restore, there is a good chance that there is MAJOR rust damage to the boom and bridle, a good chance that the drums are egg shaped from heat over years of use, the inside clutch surface most likely rust and pitted, the outer brake surface the same, guess the center bearing has a LOT of play and wobble, hook rollers, I can go on .

Not saying that a restore is not possible, BUT if done right and SAFELY, will be a VERY EXPENSE, I think the cost of the restore far out weighs what it is worth as something to save.

Last edited:

Danger Ranger

My thought on the restore, there is a good chance that there is MAJOR rust damage to the boom and bridle, a good chance that the drums are egg shaped from heat over years of use, the inside clutch surface most likely rust and pitted, the outer brake surface the same, guess the center bearing has a LOT of play and wobble, hook rollers, I can go on .

Not saying that a restore is not possible, BUT if done right and SAFELY, will be a VERY EXPENSE, I think the cost of the restore fa[r] out weighs what it is worth as something to save.
I agree with you on the expensive part, but I am not sure saving somthing isn't worth it. See my signiture. It could be useful too, once done.

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would ditch the crane part, and save the truck. How many 1941 Diamond T Reos are out there?

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Never ceases to amaze me what turns up on Steel Soldiers. The wheel you have pictured is the combat wheel from a 1951 M41 5 ton cargo truck, super rare, I have one and never thought I would see more. The M41 had wheel wells in the cargo bed like the M34 deuce. But they do not fit the 6 hole Budd pattern, someone with a 5 ton would be better off with them.
Added info, the m41 ran single 1400x20 tires on fliped hubs.

Are ALL 10 rims the same ?????

panshark

update: this crane looks like it has some outrigger points fabbed up on the frame between front axle and forward tandem, also looks like it has the left shaft pulled on the front tandem. the shaft could be lying 5 feet away, or it could be permanently MIA. On the back of the crane is a faded spot from a decal identifying as "Idaho Highway Department." It looks like life in this high desert region might have been good to the metal on the crane, but the wood is definitely rotted. I was looking at the sheet metal on the right side of the truck cab, it doesn't look like a field-expedient fab job, It's making me think that it wasn't designed for a 2-3 person cab. Looks like it might have been a factory 1-person cab, even if the crane was an add-on. I'll post pics of that part ASAP.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks