• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

idle slightly high

JamieM1009

Hi, I've noticed the last couple of times I've been on a run of about 30 miles or more, when I get back home the idle seems a little high. Probably only a bit over where it normally is but it hasn't done it before, any ideas? It runs great, starts great,no smoke, etc. The IP was rebuilt or replaced around 5 years ago and it hasn't done more than 10,000 miles since then, probably only about 6000. I replaced the fuel filter the other day but read maybe it could be a fuel line air leak from one of the pipes? Anyone help?

Hasdrubal

Check that your high idle solenoid isn't stuck on or plunger is binding. When it happened to me, turned out the temperature sensor on the passenger side of engine failed, this leaves the high idle circuit engaged permanently.

JamieM1009

Hi, is that the idle speed control actuator (the plunger part)? It disengaged and the idle drops after warm up, about 2 minutes, is that a normal time? I put some we40 spray on that and the throttle arm just to make sure it wasn't sticking, maybe it needs replacing, what do you think? Which temp sensor are you referring to? I've changed the one for the dash and added a gauge and that all works great.
Thanks

Hasdrubal

If the idle kicks down after a few minutes, then your sensor is working. It's a brass threaded body type on the passenger side of engine.

JamieM1009

Ok cool, I guess Im looking at replacing that sensor then? Do you 5hink that will solve it? Anyone point me to a current part number? I'm in the UK so have a few suppliers I can try. Thanks for the help

Hasdrubal

What? How did you misunderstand that. You said the high idle kicked down after 2 minutes. I replied that your sensor is working properly. Therefore it is not needing replacement.

JamieM1009

Lol yeah I just read it back, I see what you mean. Excuse me for being a bit of a dumb ass lol im not usually... Thanks for the help, it must just be the throttle sticking a bit, I'll get it greased up and see how it goes. Thanks again...

Hasdrubal

It might just be because the engine is actually up to operating temperature. My idle sounds a little higher between just off the cold start circuit and running for 30 minutes where it gets up to full temps.