• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Idling the 6.2L diesel engine?

alpine44

The cold weather arrived here in MT before I could get a Webasto cab heater installed in my M1009. At this point, the only way to keep this box warm inside is a running engine.

• How tolerant is the 6.2L diesel to prolonged idling at normal idle rpm?
  • Is it beneficial for the longevity of the engine to rig up a high idle setting (similar to when the engine is cold).
  • What is a good estimate for the hourly fuel consumption at normal idle speed?

Assel

When its cold and I´ve taken the ´09 to work with me, I often let it run idle & warm up while I grease the machines (big excavators, crawler loaders etc.), clean the cab and the tracks..this can take up to half an hour.. Nothing bad noticed yet, I think I once read a post where someone mentioned he lets his 6.2 run idle for about 8-9 hours without noticing problems. If you want to run it idle that long I suppose to shorten the oil-change intervalls a bit. Oh and you might want to check temperature sometimes, it could overheat due to a bad fan clutch

I cannot tell you about the fuel consumption, I think it should be somewhere around 2L/hour but not sure..never noticed the idling in my fuel mileage.

the manuals of the equipment I operate say to rev the rpm up a bit (around 1000rpm) when idling longer than 10 minutes to secure oil pressure. ..but honestly I never cared about that ..that ole 6.2 is not an overpressurized downsized turboed modern engine...I think its fine as long as it runs

but thats just my opinion

tim292stro

• How tolerant is the 6.2L diesel to prolonged idling at normal idle rpm?
Not very, with no load, it won't keep the cylinders hot - cool cylinders lead to incomplete burn and "washdown" where unburned fuel with a solvent characteristic will clean the lubrication oil from the cylinder walls below the rings. You would see galling/scoring of the cylinder walls after prolonged use like this. And you oil will eventually become diluted with fuel. If you're up for doing an oil change ever other week or so, it shouldn't be much of an issue for all the bearing parts other than the cylinder walls/rings.

• Is it beneficial for the longevity of the engine to rig up a high idle setting (similar to when the engine is cold).
High idle is better than low idle due to improved oil pressure, but again without some kind of load see above.

• What is a good estimate for the hourly fuel consumption at normal idle speed?
About 3 hours/gallon is what I've calculated at normal/warm idle - cold/fast idle is higher consumption about 1.75 hours/gallon.

Is there a reason you can't just throw a room/space heater in the cab overnight?

alpine44

Not very, with no load, it won't keep the cylinders hot - cool cylinders lead to incomplete burn and "washdown" where unburned fuel with a solvent characteristic will clean the lubrication oil from the cylinder walls below the rings. You would see galling/scoring of the cylinder walls after prolonged use like this. And you oil will eventually become diluted with fuel. If you're up for doing an oil change ever other week or so, it shouldn't be much of an issue for all the bearing parts other than the cylinder walls/rings.
High idle is better than low idle due to improved oil pressure, but again without some kind of load see above.

About 3 hours/gallon is what I've calculated at normal/warm idle - cold/fast idle is higher consumption about 1.75 hours/gallon.

Is there a reason you can't just throw a room/space heater in the cab overnight?
Idling would only for being on the road in the winter and wanting to take a nap.

Thanks for the consumption numbers.

How do the semi trucks get away with idling their engines for hours at the rest areas?

Last edited:

tim292stro

Trucks are getting clamped down on the idling. Truck stops are beginning to be equipped with either shore power or the new "Idle air" shore power and HVAC system.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEOTqxokLt4

Those who still wish to be the masters of their domain are putting in smaller APUs to keep A/C and electrical accessories running.

I doubt you will find an "owner" trucker who idles their truck for long periods of time - most I've seen who idle in the last decade are company steering wheel holders who don't have a care in the world about the condition of their engine.

If you're looking to do car camping without getting out of the truck, I can recommend (humorously) a Snuggie or a Slek'bag. :beer:

Last edited:

Skinny

The truckers are stopping because the Feds are cracking down with anti-idle laws. Pretty much everywhere up in the Northeast, you cannot idle unless your truck is certified for idle. That means you have a catalyzed diesel that has a particulate cat. I'm sure there is a fee to put that stupid shiny bar coded sticker on your fender so the state cop can scan you for verification. So if you fall into the money making game...ahem...I mean saving the environment pyramid scheme...you get to idle as much as you want. I think everyone is going to APU's because they pay for themselves over engine wear and fuel consumption.

According to the law, you are allowed to idle if

-Operation of auxiliary or alternate power systems for cabin comfort
-Motor vehicles whose primary power source is utilized in whole or in part for necessaryand prescribed mechanical operations such as refrigeration units for perishable loads,hydraulic lifts, “cherry pickers”, or similar equipment

So if anyone asks, you are running because the fridge is on or you want heat followed up with a strict..."anything else officer?" :) The laws contradict themselves and I'm sure the officer only enforces what pays the bills so I would know the regs inside and out in your area.

If you are afraid of all this, I would mount a cheapo inverter generator on the back bumper to run an electric blanket and maybe a small space heater. I doubt you will get enough heat to make it toasty in the cab with a 1500 watt heater but an electric blanket will make everything right.

tim292stro

I do believe the industry standard minimum to prevent wet stacking in diesels is a load of 30% the nameplate rating (J-code 6.2 factory rating is 165HP). That would mean you need to put a ~50HP load on it - probably not going to happen unless you drive it...

And when someone suggest that "...the military did it all the time..." (idling), I'd offer that they had a full motor pool, and spare engines in crates waiting to be installed that were already purchased - not many of us have that at our disposable :beer:

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Do you mean ZiggyO ?

I have several Espar and Webasto units myself but they are currently 2500 miles away, locked in a container. My recent move to Montana got the pack-rat to far away from the old 'rathole' :-( I will see what ZiggyO can ship.
Yes, ZiggyO

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
I do believe the industry standard minimum to prevent wet stacking in diesels is a load of 30% the nameplate rating (J-code 6.2 factory rating is 165HP). ...
I was in study of head lift but now wet stacking, another thing to study.
Now I see why the backup diesel generators at the power plant needed to be put "on-line" once in a while to load them up. Now I understand why it would be good to put tons of something in the back of the Deuce and drive it. It will be good for it.
wet stacking with pictures

So you don't freeze in MT how about a small propane fired heater?
mr heater portable buddy.jpg
View attachment wet_stacking_info_prevention.pdfView attachment Wet-Stacking-Prevention Diesel.pdf

Last edited:

tim292stro

I think if you can get to a hill on a short drive that's enough to get the engine to temperature - if there's any point where you feel you could lug or stall the engine you're nearing or exceeding the available power at that fuel rate, and combustion is likely to be complete (unless you over-fuel, leading to lots of black smoke).

Those catalytic heaters are not for enclosed spaces - better to go with a ceramic heater on an auxiliary battery, or get a warmer sleeping bag if sleeping in the cab [thumbzup].

Ceramic heaters are available in 12V and 24V.

Last edited:

ROCKWELL-C60

I Say Idle a way my dad bought a 1987 Chevy 1 ton 6.2 liter diesel new and it idle hours and hours we put 350000 on that truck with out not touching the motor at all.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks