• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

If I get a deuce how broke will I be?

drewmech

Title says it all. I just want to know what I'd be getting into with one of these. What is the typical cost of maintenance, repairs, how hard is it to track down parts, etc... Hopefully these things don't leak like the aircraft I work on (P-3C Orion) Any help would be appreciated.

wvhillbilly

My suggestion: Buy one from a private seller as they will most likely have done some of the fixin' up already, as was my case. I bought a beauty for 5k! May sound like a lot, but this was a rust FREE truck with a fresh service and camo paint. Plus HE did the recovery and already knew the good/bad of the truck. Do your research, buy the TM's on disc, and do them PM'S!!! Develop a relationship with a GOOD parts store, get a catalog from Memphis equipment...AND REMEMBER, WE ARE HERE TO HELP. J.S.Hill, (manager of a auto parts store, and sometime occasional rabble-rouser):wink:

roscoe

It really depends on what condition you get and how you maintain and use it. Solid well built trucks but need care. Parts seem to be fairly easy to find. Lots of knowledgable folks to help ya also.

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
Hopefully these things don't leak like the aircraft I work on (P-3C Orion) Any help would be appreciated.
I know a guy that talked to a guy whose ex wife's second cousin had a deuce that didn't leak. Of course he had to trade the jeep he bought in the crate for $50 to get it.

Last edited:

rottiedog

Hey there,

I am a P-3 guy from Maine too (except it was YEARS ago)!!! It's when they stop leaking that you worry, just like the orion. So far, other than the parts being bigger, the Deuce is just like any old truck.

Also, saw a video of the P-8's first flight. Pretty cool.

Numbers

Your in Maine working on P-3's. Aviation Structural Mechanic ? Do they still fly to the Canadian bases for training ? If so then the old Canadian vehicles are going fairly cheap (old M-35's converted) along with their parts also. Parts are easy to get across but there are Canadian (also upper New York and Maine) members here on this board that would better answer it.

http://www.prefair.ca/products/?s=626

or just PM m109guy (Canadian) he has alot of experience (as do others here). His vehicle is at MilitaryTrucks.ca Website - M109 Military Truck RV Project

drewmech

I'm an Aviation Machinist Mate (AD) or a jet engine mechanic for those who don't speak Navy. As such here are a few creative half truths I have told pilots:

1) No Sir, thats not a leak thats the extra corrosion prevention compound we put on the motors running off.

2) That's just some water dirt and residual oil.

3) If we're constantly adding oil the oil to the engine the oil doesn't have a chance to get too old and dirty.

4) 2 quarts of oil per flight is cheaper then 2 filters per flight.

5) If you don't look at it it doesn't leak.

6) Let me know when it stops leaking and I'll fill it back up for you.

I'll be transfering to shore duty in Washington state around the new year and as such will be in need of a new project. So I figured I'd start my research now. Just figured I'd ask the experts what was all involved. If anyone has anymore advice I'm all ears. Idealy I'd sell my 87' Chevy truck for a CUCV and pick up a duece.

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Title says it all. I just want to know what I'd be getting into with one of these. What is the typical cost of maintenance, repairs, how hard is it to track down parts, etc... Hopefully these things don't leak like the aircraft I work on (P-3C Orion) Any help would be appreciated.
With all the per diem your pulling in shipmate, it shouldn't be a problem.................................:)

50shooter

If you don't buy a basket case and take care of it, they run, parts are easy to come by and cheaper than your 87 Chevy. The most expensive part will be the second and third deuces you will end up buying. Can't have just one.

Met my wife in the Air Force who is from Stonington and later New Castle. You have beautiful country for a deuce. Worst case scenario, you decide not to keep it, some of the loggers north of you would take it.

Blood_of_Tyrants

If you are willing to take a chance, you can get one for less than $1500 from Government Liquidation. Parts are not hard to get and not really expensive. You can spend as much as you like modifying it or as little as you like and keep it stock.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
You will be broke as f--k. You will have to "make it yours" with some custom stuff. Then there is the bigger tools you will want to make things easier to fix. Next you will see a truck on here with bigger tires and want that. Then you will find a guy whos cousin wants one gone and buy it from him. It will be cheap, but also a basket case. It just never ends. Someone will know you have two army trucks and tell you where a 5ton is, you cannot pass up such a deal, but plan on re-selling it. A year goes by and you decide maybe I'll hang on to it for one more year just to see......

scooter01922

You will be broke as f--k. You will have to "make it yours" with some custom stuff. Then there is the bigger tools you will want to make things easier to fix. Next you will see a truck on here with bigger tires and want that. Then you will find a guy whos cousin wants one gone and buy it from him. It will be cheap, but also a basket case. It just never ends. Someone will know you have two army trucks and tell you where a 5ton is, you cannot pass up such a deal, but plan on re-selling it. A year goes by and you decide maybe I'll hang on to it for one more year just to see......
I agree entirely, its not that they cost a lot its that you WILL buy more than one. Believe me i was just gonna be a 1 truck kind of guy, didn't have the room for more than 1. Trust me, you will find the space. Look at me i'm on number 3 in less than 12 months.

Honestly, it seems that the initial purchase and recovery is the most expensive part, even if you buy from a private seller, because you're still going to want to change the fluids, check the brakes, etc. Then the next most expensive part is making it your own (super singles, radios, maybe a muffler, etc)

Then its not too bad. :-D

Until you buy your next one.

And your landlord fines you and your family disowns you :-D

drewmech

Eh so they disown me... been there done that... I bought a 67 rs/SS camaro from a guy in Canada who was using it prop up a fence. My then girlfriend (now wife) threatened to break up with if I spent 1 more dime on parts. I told her girlfriends are easier to replace then classic cars. She's still around even if the car isn't. Now if I ever find a half track it may be game over, but until then its game on. :evil:

SasquatchSanta

Truer words were never spoken

hole

If you get one thats in good shape and then take care of it , their not too bad. I've had mine for over 2 years and I dont think I've spent more than $500. Oil change- $100 +/- Good used tires on the rim- $50 .The single most expensive thing I've done to my truck was to put jatonka's spin on oil filter kit on- $220. If you start with a solid truck and then take care of it and dont beat the snot out of it , it shouldnt be to bad to take care of2cents

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
RUN....RUN while you can...save yourself from a life of scrounging through junkyards, trolling online auctions and checking out every rumor of a MV that might need a good home.

Once you get the dreaded "green iron fever" there is no stopping...I just wanted a deuce to remind me of my misspent youth in the Army......just one little M35.....BUT NOOOOOOOOOO,
now I have a M816 5 ton wrecker, a deuce tractor, a M109, a M49 tanker and other MV related stuff holding down an acre or so of pasture.

Keep you home life happy.....keep money to spend on your wife and kids instead of a ring mount for your deuce.

I can stop anytime I want..........MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA aua :cookoo:

frodobaggins

But wrecker, if you didn't have them, how would you keep that acre
of pasture from flying away ? Good land is hard to find, and ropes
and tie downs just don't cut it. Better to be safe and weigh it down
with green iron.

dc3coyote

Wrecker you got a ring mount, I will trade you one of my girls.
As for the leaking of a Duece, if its not, you need to add more oil.
The cost, is high...untill you really need the truck, like getting one bag of concrete from HomeDepot.