• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

If I had a Dollar for Every Time....

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So what happens when he sells someone generic 3/8” J30R7 fuel/emission hose and someone clueless installs it on a fuel injection system that requires J30R9 high pressure hose?

byrdman1312

Years ago, when I moved to the town I live in now, and was working on a few mules, trailers, and 1/4 ton trucks. I went into the NAPA store and presented them with a seal I needed. The kid behind the computer asked what it fit. "Look I'm not trying to be a smart ass, but if I told you, you still wouldn't know and you're not going find it in there." I did tell him it was for a military vehicle. After a while they learned to measure the parts I needed.
They got so good at meeting my needs, I went in one day and the owner waited on me. He asked, "What kind of Army truck does this fit?" I laughed and said, "It's a seal for the gearbox on my bush hog." He got a laugh too as he was reaching for the calipers and parts book.
Another time they ordered a fuel filter for a mule. Somebody along the way got the part number backward. When I went to pick it up, they presented me with a filter that was about 6 inches in diameter and a foot long. It fit some kind of Caterpillar tractor. We got a good laugh from that one too. Good guys at NAPA, very accommodating!

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ferro needs to post his NAPA story here.
Ok I will.

Years ago I was rebuilding my M37's brake system. I looked up all the Napa numbers and went to the local store, I hadn't trained them yet as I had just moved to the area.

I go up to the counter and say hi, I need a part, and I have the napa number.

Kid goes, make and model?

It isn't in there trust me.

Well let me try...

Sure knock yourself out. 1953 Dodge M37 3/4 ton weapons carrier with a 230 flathead inline six with waterproof ignition system, 24v.

Uhhhhhhhhhhh

With a smug look on my face- Told you

Finally admitting defeat- what's that number?

His fingers hover shaking slightly over the number pad.

I say, are you ready?

He says yes.

I go, "1"

He hits it. And waits. I stand quietly. Then he looks up, and the rest he says?

That's all I say.

He calls BS, I say hit enter. Skepticaly, he does.

Oh, it's a master cylinder rebuild kit for a 1936 Plymouth sedan. And it says we have 3 on the shelf!?!

Yep, I'll take all 3.

$27.95 each

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Ok I will.

Years ago I was rebuilding my M37's brake system. I looked up all the Napa numbers and went to the local store, I hadn't trained them yet as I had just moved to the area.

Well let me try...

Sure knock yourself out. 1953 Dodge M37 3/4 ton weapons carrier with a 230 flathead inline six with waterproof ignition system, 24v.

Uhhhhhhhhhhh

I say, are you ready?

He says yes.

I go, "1"

That's all I say.

Oh, it's a master cylinder rebuild kit for a 1936 Plymouth sedan. And it says we have 3 on the shelf!?!

Yep, I'll take all 3.

$27.95 each
Pretty darn neat...
You knew their system better than they did.

Adrok

Steel Soldiers Supporter
One time.....one single time.....I said "1968 M35a2, natural aspirated, 6x6"
Guy behind the counter acted like it was in the system. Went and grabbed fuel filters.

I asked him about it, turns out his dad uses several Deuces as farm trucks. He knew the part. LOL

hike

—realizing each day
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok I will.

Well let me try...

Uhhhhhhhhhhh

I say, are you ready?

He says yes.

I go, "1"

That's all I say.

Yep, I'll take all 3.

$27.95 each
Searching for "1" at NAPA parts online still brings up the master cylinder rebuild kit—

biscuitwhistler37

In another life while I was a service manager for a used car dealer, I had to order a transfer case bearing for a Chevy pickup, kid on the phone asked me if it was 2 or 4 wheel drive..... Almost as good as ordering windshield wipers and getting the same question.

canadacountry

@Adrok got to love it when you run into someone who doesn't even need to physically look up at all if you know what i really meant there?

even then umm well geeze yeah when you keep going back many to the same small food store (think just a few employees if not sometimes only one all day long) for quite a long time its not too much of a surprise to once in awhile suddenly get told the total price for my bag worth of items before i even managed to put one single thing onto the countertop in front of the cashier! and thats considering the blank back of a 1kg freezer bag of goat pasta looks exactly the same as the blank back of a 1kg freezer bag of veal-cheese pasta so yeah you can say they know too well what i usually eat .. and don't ask me about that one particular parma lady sometimes going "what? no chocolate??" when I buy something without getting at least one minicake of some sort too - hey don't laugh too much ok???!

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
@Adrok got to love it when you run into someone who doesn't even need to physically look up at all if you know what i really meant there?

even then umm well geeze yeah when you keep going back many to the same small food store (think just a few employees if not sometimes only one all day long) for quite a long time its not too much of a surprise to once in awhile suddenly get told the total price for my bag worth of items before i even managed to put one single thing onto the countertop in front of the cashier! and thats considering the blank back of a 1kg freezer bag of goat pasta looks exactly the same as the blank back of a 1kg freezer bag of veal-cheese pasta so yeah you can say they know too well what i usually eat .. and don't ask me about that one particular parma lady sometimes going "what? no chocolate??" when I buy something without getting at least one minicake of some sort too - hey don't laugh too much ok???!
You are a 'regular' in more ways than one!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks