• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

If it can be broke, I will break it. Therefore, I have broken it.

original

I bought another M1008 last week and changed the starter (DH) relay. Well, I normally add a third battery in all my CUCVs. This time, I added four because of the dual winches and 5500w power inverter. It caused the new starter (DH) relay to fail. I just had to have another battery! It's a hard thing to listen to your starter spin out of control for what seems like hours, while you stumble around for a winch. At one point, I made an attempt to manually pull the ground wires off the battery terminals. It takes an eternity to remove all those terminals. It's been an exciting day. Anyway, don't misunderstand what I'm saying, the DH relay mod is not at fault here. This fool (myself), applied way to many cranking amps into the starting system. That being said, if your going to add a third or fourth battery, please make sure you isolate that extra battery from the starting system. I am now installing my spare starter. Just a heads up for you voltage freaks. I had four 1000CA batteries installed when this happened. I normally run three 850CA batteries with no trouble.

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That sounds odd. A starting system should draw a certain amount of current at 12v, or 24v, no matter what the battery amperage capacity availability was. Adding more batteries in parallel does not 'force' more current into the starter...unless of course you got 24v on a 12v starter, etc.

Let us know what you find? Thanks

Bob

original

The amperage to the solenoid was to high. I have tested a few of these starters and they will draw an incredible amount of current as they continue to run. If the power is available, the starter will draw it, unless restricted. I've been doing some research and it seems that going over any vehicles recommended cca by more than 50% will cause troubles. The trouble is normally a blown fuse with late model cars.