• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

If this generator could talk

Hard Head

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well I was thinking about all the things we find repairing our generators when I got one in with a fuel leak tag on the front panel. A 2008 with 200 hours, been thru reset and was looking really good. I wondered what required such a tag then I saw it when I opened the door and the fuel water separator looked like it had taken gun fire. I had to take the side panel off to remove it. I put on a new fuel water separator hand tight and have not found another fuel leak.
IMG_0737.jpgIMG_0735.jpg

Farmitall

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Everything leaves tool marks, including bullets. Bullets leave evidence of the jacket scraping off on the edges of a hole and would usually pass right through something like that without all the tearing, even at severe oblique angles of impact.

My guess is a very large pair of channel locks and a frustrated mechanic.

Too many bends and tears to be otherwise.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Drained with an air chisel?

Hard Head

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I guess the guys at GP tried to crank it and got a surprise as there was some fuel and fluids in it. They probably put the tag on it. Just thought it might brighten someones day that did conquer a problem that someone else gave up on and passed along to others.

jwinner

I've done two of those, both I found damaged by previous unsuccessful removal attempt, and I had to take the side panel off both times to finally get it off!

Buickrat

If you don't mind a "few" cough cough, scratches on your arm, you can get a filter wrench through from the front of the unit (open the door for the load panel). No piece of cake and make sure to grab the filter as high up as possible, preferably the very top at the gasket, and work it off slowly. They do not come off quickly. Slow steady pressure, patience and numerous beers will help.

Hard Head

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I normally just take the side off since it is easier now with rivnuts. That way I can also check inside for any possible issues. I think I am going to add a side door that I can open without removing anything to just make this easy.

Guyfang

Staff member
If you don't mind a "few" cough cough, scratches on your arm, you can get a filter wrench through from the front of the unit (open the door for the load panel). No piece of cake and make sure to grab the filter as high up as possible, preferably the very top at the gasket, and work it off slowly. They do not come off quickly. Slow steady pressure, patience and numerous beers will help.

I dont know how many of these filters you have changed, but I have done a truck load of them. Some come off easy. Some come off hard. And some require a nuke.

Hard Head

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I put them on hand tight and so far neither of my own generators have any issues with the fuel water separator leaking. I can get them off with minor effort, not cuts, bruises, and I don't have to waste explosives. The one in the picture I posted was one of the worse ones I ever had to get off. :beer: Thus it was sold with a fuel leak that was never fixed

Last edited:

Buickrat

I dont know how many of these filters you have changed, but I have done a truck load of them. Some come off easy. Some come off hard. And some require a nuke.
Having been an auto mechanic for the last 35 years, I've learned a couple things...
A. The screwdriver "trick" rarely works works.
B. A slow steady pull almost always works.
C. Keep dynamite handy. One stick, taped to the side of a real stubborn filter, works EVERY time.