• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

If your read it you reap it-alternators

M1008driver

alternators

All of the sudden I had a problem with my battery not charging fully and the voltmeter staying in the yellow. I could tell it was not my new glow plugs.

I went to the only place I know of in town that rebuilds alternators and they were kind of amazed by the electrical system. (One guy wanted my axles too but I said not for sale) I explained many things I learned, but don't think they realized the alternators are the same.

The problem is I was quoted $150-$200 to rebuild my alternators. The good part is I had a bad connection on the battery negative and everything works now.

What do I do about alternators? You know I will need one some day. What is the best place to buy them outright. I can change them myself.

For the rebuild price quoted I would rather buy them. :-(

Last edited:

cucv1833

$150-$200 is that for both rebuilt? I paid $60 for 1 and $80 for the other to be rebuilt.
i think it was a good price considering there like $200 a piece brand new.

M1008driver

OD Iron seems to be out of alternators. I haven't called them yet. I would at least like one spare while I rebuild or have rebuilt mine and to keep for emergencies.

I have made a search with all kinds of information that hasn't helped me. Where do I get an alternator for my M1008? Any help is appreciated.

EDIT- Is Caltic on EBAY for real? $800

EDIT 2- I printed the rebuild instructions. Wish me luck. I still would like an extra alternator...

Last edited:

idM1028

All of those are exactly the same thing. They're from a company called Rare Electrical. :deadhorse: Below is the link. Around $200 if you go straight to the website. The cases say Delco Remy USA, blah, blah, blah, but inside they're probably Chinese junk. Granted, I ran one in mine in the GEN2 position for 6+ months no problems, but I also replaced that one with the one I had in the GEN1 position (I've got the Caddy alt now) after I had GEN1 rebuilt.
M1008 M1009 M1028 CUCV ALTERNATOR 12V 1105500 OE 100A

M1008driver

(I've got the Caddy alt now?)
That's what I was originally thinking. A Caddy alt on the DS that would give me a spare for the isolated ground on the PS. I spent over 5 hours reading this forum yesterday. Changing an alternator is not that hard. Finding one is.

My other question is do you have any trouble with your GEN 1 light blinking with the Caddy alt? I think that would get annoying. :?:

EDIT- Also, wouldn't a Caddy alt give me a place to install a tach? It appears to have the stud.

EDIT 2- I just looked at my M1008 alts and the DS is grounded to the engine block. The ground is not need, right? Maybe a Wilson alt from Napa?

Here is the pic showing my DS alt grounded. Also, what is the small black wire run above the ground...and, do I need these? Maybe just stay milspec?

Attachments

Last edited:

M1008driver

Too many questions? Feel free to jump in as I am all ears.

My next biggest projects are alternators, injection pump, and head gaskets. After that I should be good for many miles down the road.

:lost:

M1008driver

Decision time...I am going with the high priced Wilson Alternator from NAPA. Why? It is isolated grounded. I will put it on the DS, then rebuild the old alt to use on the PS and then rebuild that alt for a spare.

Wow...you think someone would have this alternator thing figured out, but I guess rebuild is the best answer.

SGT Estum

If I recall correctly, the small black wire is for the STE/ICE unit. I don't think it's critical for proper function.

That said, you probably want to verify that before chopping anything off.

idM1028

I'm just not going to talk about the electrical system. . . (I think it's jinxed :tin hat:) I would say it's working fine, but see previous. . . And yes the small black wire with the white stripe is for the diagnostic port. It runs back to a connector/plug near the firewall behind the air cleaner and next to the resistor block. Same for the small wire with the fusible link on GEN2. After the fusible link that one's pink. I think its orange running off GEN2. I've yanked both these wires out of my truck. Might even be a good idea for GEN2. I've noticed a lot of the fusible links on my truck have bits of metal sticking out of them (to include that fusible link for GEN2). Guess what happens if they accidently contact a ground (like say the case for GEN2)? If you guessed "sparks" or "fireworks show" you'd be correct.