• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

IFA W-50

vtunimog

Mattias -

Great to hear from fellow "German Iron" collectors out there. I haven't had much experience with IFA's They look somewhat like a cross between a Robur and a SIMCA (renault). Was IFA an East German company ? Seems like DC/Mercedes has swallowed up so many larger truck companies now I guess that is why they are the worlds largest heavy truck producer.

I like the shelter on the back, is that a Russian shelter for a Kamaz ?

Cheers,

Chris M

Cheek

[color=blue> ]Hello Chris![/I][/color]

[color=#0000ff>Matthias]<FONT color=#0000ff>IFA was an East German Company who was bought out by Diamler/Benz in '90. I posted some history on this truck in the first post if you want to check it out. I've seen a giant Tatra 8x8 like you are getting and they are a Monster! You would like the "Mowag Piranah"! It's also an 8x8 with 4 wheel steering![/color]

[color=#0000ff>I've]

<FONT color=#0000ff>Later! [/color]

Matthias

[color=orange>Hi] ,[/color]

[color=orange>sorry]

The W50 was a transporter for the East German army (NVA). The Russians had other vehicles like Sis, Sil, Ural, Kras, Kamaz.[/color]

[color=orange>Nice] !!![/color]

[color=orange>Best]

<FONT color=orange> Bye,[/color]

<FONT color=orange> Matthias

ehsankiani

Hello there
I dont own a military truck but there are a lot of them around me.. :). I was reffered here by someone on the Pirate4x4 forum. Thought I would join up and send you some pics/info from this side of the globe as well as learn some new stuff from this amazing forum..
This is the picture I posted today at Pirate that led me here.. Its lting here in a junk yard. I wish I had the resources to buy that..
Thanks
Ehsan

Cheek

[color=blue> ]Hello Ehsan! [/I][/color]

Welcome to the forum! It is nice of you to post photos! It would be nice to save that one from the scrap heap! It looks like an early IFA W-50. I would like to know its history and background! There are some good parts on it too!

ehsankiani

I dont have enough money to buy this truck but I can get any parts off of it if you need them. This was bought at an auction from the Pakistan Army by its current owner..
Ehsan

Cheek

Hello Ehsan,
Thanks for offering to help with obtaining parts off the old IFA. I do not need any parts except for some air switches that probably aren't on that year truck. I will tell Matthias about it in case he might need some parts! Too bad it can't be saved and fixed up one day!
I will talk to you again later. Take Care

Cheek

[color=blue> ]
<FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000" face="Times New Roman" color=#0000ff> I've put about 1,500 miles on my truck since my last post! It has performed[/color]

[color=#0000ff>very]

<FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000" face="Times New Roman" color=#0000ff>line connector had vibrated loose and the compressor belt needed adjusting.[/color]

[color=#0000ff>I]

<FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000" face="Times New Roman" color=#0000ff>by the gallon! It held just over 20 quarts! It does run extremely well and I've[/color]

[color=#0000ff>made]

<FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000" face="Times New Roman" color=#0000ff>problems. It does tend to start to porpoise at about 40-42 but it stops pretty[/color]

[color=#0000ff>quickly]

<FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000" face="Times New Roman" color=#0000ff>some on certain bumps and one time the only thing keeping me from flying[/color]

[color=#0000ff>out]<FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000" face="Times New Roman" color=#0000ff>you [/color]

[color=#0000ff>let]

<FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000" face="Times New Roman" color=#0000ff>pretty cool unpainted! I haven't rebuilt the troop seats yet but didn't really[/color]

[color=#0000ff>feel]

<FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000" face="Times New Roman" color=#0000ff>the seats in a few weeks but I mainly wanted the sides up to be able to use[/color]

[color=#0000ff>the]

<FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000" face="Times New Roman" color=#0000ff> Later! :)[/color]

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Looks great Jeff, you gotta try and come to Haspin in July. Sounds like it is ready to make the trip now. Keep up the good work and keep us posted.

Cheek

[2]
Hello!

I took this pic the other day to help show how high my truck actually sits! The sign is standard height! I once had to look over a sign to see if anything was coming! That was a trip! I was driving my truck the other day and my compressor belt shredded on me! It was the only thing left to replace and I should have changed it but it wasn't broken so I didn't fix it! I had to stop 3 times to get turned around but manged to drive it back home with the air left in my tank. I drove about 20 miles and didn't use the brakes once! It took skill, anticipating lights and granny helped me out too! I had a little under a half a tank of air left and the brakes locked down on me when I stopped in my driveway! I almost squashed a VW Beetle in front of my house as this idiot woman tried to pass me on the right when I was taking a wide right turn into my driveway! I guessed she thought the blinker was for something else! I gave her a hand signal I will not mention here! I figured it was a matter of time before that happened. It is amazing to me how many stupid people will actually pull right out in front of you! The next person that does that to me will have an extremely rude awakening! What do you get when you cross a passenger car with a 12,500 lb. truck? A Pancake!

When I bent the fan belt to check it, it broke in half! They were original as they had the date on them which was 11/82! I replaced them with GoodYear GatorBacks!

I would like to make the 6.5 hour trip to Haspin but I don't think I will be able to because I don't have the extra cash to spend on gas! It is about 325 miles from here. I might be able to make it, I don't know yet. I took some cool pics at the Armory today in Nashville! I will probably post them in the "conversation" thread so look for them there!

Later! :)
[/2]

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks