• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

ignition swithch help cucv

iamspencer

hey in my 84 cucv the ignition switch is finnaly dead, i think, i never used the start part of it becasue i had a button instaed of a solenoid. but now soem times the key wont turn on liek in the run position it doesnt ligh tup any dash lights, today it shut off whiel it had been idleign of ra few minutes. any way is the ignition switch wiring same on a civy?, i need any help of how to either hot wire or rewire it

thaksn to all that migt hbe able to help

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ignition switch and wiring is the same as a civilian. Switches don't normally go bad. Buy a new one or get one from a junker (83-86), plug it in and try it.

iamspencer

mmmmmm what else do you think it could be, it intermitnt, that the key doesnt seem to work on the run setting, everythign that is wired hot liek my stereo and lights and gp's and starter work but he dash indicator lights that come on befoe start up wont come on and it wont start essential sctign liek the key is in the off position, i think the key switch is just really beat.

mangus580

Hmm... I had thought they were different?

Isnt there an adjustment for the ign switch? It would explain why you would lose start first... then run. It sounds like it slid down the column.

beaubeau

I berlieve there is a Rod from thr steering collum to the Switch , which is actually on the bottom of the Steering Collum. Is the Tumbler bad so it does not turn, or is it the switch not making Contact?

HeadWizard

There is a connector "rod" from the key switch in the column to the electrical switch further down. Could be any/all of the parts. I've seen all 3 go bad.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The rod referenced above runs along the top of the column from the sector gear at the ignition lock to the ignition switch mounted on top of the column behind the instrument panel. The rod is "L" shaped at the switch and controls the position of the switch. If the rod is bent it may only work intermittently. There is no adjustment that I am aware of. There is also a rod on the left side of the column but that is for the hi-beam light switch which is mounted just below and to the left of the ignition switch.
What I've done is I go to the salvage yard and disassemble a steering column or two. This way I'm not practicing on my own vehicle.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks