• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Igntion switch question

JAsher45

I am working on finishing up the work on my 86 k-20 so i can roll my m1009 on the shop for the winter for a complete 10/20 reset. my question is to do with the ignition switch on my K-20. I can not turn the key to the ACC postion. my question is where and what should i start looking for? the lock core? the rod that goes down the colum? the ignition switch itself. i know that the basic electrical componets work the same in these mid 80's chevy. even the ACC postion works in my m1009.. so maybe something is broke. I really dont want to tear into the colum if i dont need to. if you guys have any ideas let me know

rnd-motorsports

I would say its going to be the lock core ! you can pull the ignition switch off the side of the colume and check rather easy but I would think its in the colume may just need a key switch tumbler There shouldn't be anything I can think of that could be with the rod itself its just a link rod 2cents let us know what you find!

JAsher45

i will find out this weekend as i tackle it. just one of those odd things that i noticed. i just like everything to work like intended... kinda like doing a proper PMCS.

mr.travo

Anyone have a good step by step (with pictures) of the column tear down? I am wanting to rebuild one of mine.

Thanks!

PS-- Yes, I did use the search button before I posted :mrgreen:

Cleptomaniac

I have no pics but I just rebuilt mine and it was not bad. You will need a steering wheel puller and a lock plate tool. You can rent these from your auto parts store.

mr.travo

Right on. It's not broken yet, but my turn signal cam is getting pretty worn out and my key tumbler is full of this goop that was all over my steering wheel. I heard that the steering wheels will "bleed" this goop over the years in extreme heat. In the winter time I have to be careful because the tumbler wants to stick in the start position.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks