• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

IH DT466 swap

BinderDan

I know it’s been talked about on here, but has anyone ever actually replaced the 478 Hercules with a DT 466.
The LDT465 in my deuce runs good, but has a lot of blowby, to the point I can’t keep the valve covers sealed. It’s a tead rebuild with about 4500 miles on it

My dad and I salvage and collect IH tractors
and trucks the 466 is really familiar engine to me
Thanks Dan

Attachments

davidb56

Im interested in doing it when mine needs it. Im guessing if you have the accessories on you dt466 such as air compressor, radiator and power steering pump for later upgrade, and use the transmission from the donor, it would be more engine/transmission mount fabrication, (which is simple for a welder) than trying to match bell housings, flywheel and clutch headaches. make your measurement carefully for fit, before committing to the swap. Be aware that your truck has a overdrive transmission, so you will likely loose top speed. I never go over 45mph where I live, so thats not a problem for me. There are a few ways to get a higher top speed if needed. I personally like the dt466 because its a true million mile rated motor. Most here will say go "cummins". It has been done successfully many times, and a few guys have REALLY nice truck$$$ with the Cummins.

Somethings I ran in to when replacing the muliti fuel in my 5 ton with a mack engine.

At The front of the muliti fuel the valve cover is very close to the hood even the fan is below the top of the valve cover .
Best of luck keep us poster

BinderDan

I like the multi fuel it makes good power
Started right up this morning 15degrees no ether not plugged in but it’s got so much blow by
My thought being a fire truck it never got run and broke in after the engine was gone thru, 3000 miles in 32 years

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No negative opinion of the DT466 here.

I think I would want to know for sure that the multi has a real problem before embarking on transplant surgery.

For starters, I would do the preventative maintenance it needs, load it up (5 tons of sand or gravel or whatever) and run it long and "hard" (I.e. staying below 2500 rpm but do hills, use the rpm band and keep it working), then re-assess blowby after having driven it like that for a week or at least a few times.

The multi can be in-frame overhauled if need be. Some here have done it.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

BinderDan

I think I would want to know for sure that the multi has a real problem before embarking on transplant surgery.

For starters, I would do the preventative maintenance it needs, load it up (5 tons of sand or gravel or whatever) and run it long and "hard" (I.e. staying below 2500 rpm but do hills, use the rpm band and keep it working), then re-assess blowby after having driven it like that for a week or at least a few times.

I drove it 700 miles home from Tulsa Oklahoma
It hasn’t got any worse, but that was my thought as well pull the living snot out of it to try and break cylinder glaze

BinderDan

What do you guys run for oil?
I’m running 15-40 Rotella

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
15-40 Rotella also. Maybe it is worth running John Deere break in oil for 500 miles or so to. I'd defer to some of the diesel mechanics here...rustystud...whaddayasay?

davidb56

I'd make sure the blow by is actually from piston/sleeve and not from another source. Such as blocked line from the valve covers to the slobber tube, or air compressor problem pressurizing the crank case. It should be also burning oil too if it has excessive blow by. Hows the oil consumption? If it isn't going down, dont worry about it.

BinderDan

Breather tube is clear, I had the valve covers off and replaced the gaskets, ran the overhead as well. I know silicone is bad, at this point I’m just trying to get the oil leaks stopped

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks