• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I'm a 5 tonner now :)

tobyS

Mikey, your crane avatar picture reminds me... here is my crane. I have 51' of stick. I've had it 25 years and it's about time for a full truck rebuild (and a dry home). My wife reminds me how we spent honeymoon money to buy it.

I'll bet you find your crane really handy! I do. Do you have a building it's kept in?

I've bought 7 (sold 5) 5 tons myself. Latest is an M817 dump with 17k mi. I certainly agree about the features of the newer five tons with air brakes and Alison's, now that I shift and pray for no brake failures.

I think I liked the 84 A1 about the best because I like the 250 size engine. The only thing I want to do is make an electric blower with heated air for the intake, at least for cold starts but also some power gain. And make it a dump bed. And build a knuckle-boom in the middle with remote control. That's the plan for my 925.

Have fun in the hobby of the 5 ton iron vets, you were warned of the addictive nature and apparently choose to get a truck instead of new jewelry for the wife.

Attachments

Last edited:

mikey

Toby, that is an awesome collection! I've been following a lot of your posts about the dual batteries for the 939. Very nice pictures and input on that. I'll probably switch to 2 batteries also. Thanks!

I have my eye on a deuce dump truck up the road from me. It's not officially for sale, but my neighbor offered it to me for a fair price. It sits in his barn, so I can take my time on that one. I think that will complete my collection, but then again that's what I said when I got the wrecker. I prefer the mutlifuel engines because parts are readily available and cheap, I'm familiar with working on them and I can run WMO. But the 939 is my new cruising toy. I will not mod it at all. Eventually I'll be getting a trailer for the ultimate RV build. I feel much safer taking the 939 long distances than I do the deuces.

I used the wrecked around the yard a lot. She needs some work before she's road ready, but there are ALWAYS projects for the wrecker, whether it's moving a full 250g tote or pallets of firewood around the yard. It's definitely a fun and unique toy.

My 939 does not start in the cold, but I'm looking at the $75 block heater from NAPA to resolve that. We've had two weeks of temps below 20f with a few below zero. The 939 is not a happy camper. But that's probably a good thing. Gives me time to get the title and register it without wanting to drive it undocumented.

Thanks for the warm invite. The hobby is addicting. I was warned when I bought my first deuce. I just figured those guys were nuts and it wouldn't happen to me. Now I realize we've all got a screw loose or two. :)

tobyS

Thanks Mikey! They don't really like the cold so I'm not forcing the issue.

I've sold the A1 (third pic)...it is very nice. I plan to make the 925 (fourth) into a rock, timber or tree Y section hauler, some quite large.

Now I have the paint source for doing more painting at reasonable cost. The dump is first. At the risk of being a shill for Home Depot, the Behr Ultru exterior flat in green 383 (FSS 34094) and brown 383 (FSS 30051) with black (FSS 37030), are great paints for reasonable cost.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks