• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I'm Back, With A Blown Brake line ???

IBEZKUM

While moving over the weekend, I Had My Truck, 1008 and trailer loaded.
This Lady decides, she wants to be on the otherside of the street.
So she runs out in front of me, (YES, MY WORDS, EXACTLY)
Slamming on my brakes, Blowing A Rear steel line!!!
Its twenty years old, may as well do them all!!
QUESTION OF THE DAY IS
While looking through LMC Catalog, They Have stainless & steel lines.
I'd like to go stainless, But their only for C10'S and C15'S.
They have a steel sets for C20'S & C25'S with a corporate rear end with, 14 bolt cover.
But none seem to have a provisions for, The Weight Proportional Valve,
Or is that just a given, that it's included. Or if you know where to get a set lines??
Without cutting and flaring..
Thanks for bein here, USE GUYS!!!

BKinzey

Why? If his brake lines are blown then could be a problem to get to a shop.

And the question for IBEZKUM is, they list different lines? I was planning on SS lines and a swap to a 14BFF. Another possible problem with my plan! :roll: :cry:

IBEZKUM

I Drove the truck for a week,, with a leaking left rear line!
Then I replaced both rear lines and Bleader valves,, Was just wondering,
If Anyone changed all their lines all at once,
Or Found an easy bolt on kit, Or set of lines custom for the truck.
YOU KNOW THE SAYIN, ONCE ONE GOES THEY ALL GO!!
Been there, done that, Under the truck every so many months.
With flaring tool and pipe cutter, fluid leakin everywhere.
I'd rather do it once and forget about it, I was Just pickin Brains.
Wondering if Civvy C20 Brake Lines Would fit, Without all the extra effort!!!
The problem I have with shops is, You bring the truck in for one thing,
Then they get it on the lift and start doing you favors,
like tighting things and Break your oil pan and plug without telling you
But tell you your U-joint is fine they greased it,, but it really has dry socket
and you drive down the road and your hood flys open and so on!!
Well Thanks again,, Hope to Read you Later!!

CCATLETT1984

If its got a bar rear line, you just pinch it off with a pair of vise-grips and go straight to the shop. I drove my s-10 with a split rear line 15 miles to the shop, you just use the trans to slow you down and go easy on the brakes.

gmjunky87

i was also wondering if there were any stainless lines out there. i just bought an 85 cucv. it's got a 4 inch lift with 33's. steel lines suck!

badgmc56

NAPA sells steel lines with a protective coating on them to prevent rotting out. Did my plow truck with them and we all know what a beating those trucks take. I also changed every line on my GMC deuce with no bending problems or distortion of the coating. The lines are also very reasonably priced.

gmjunky87

i spent some time lookin at those sites. awesome! i absolutely hate dealing with steel lines! i'm kinda new to this stuff haha! thanks for all the info!

tankie88

The right hand rear steel line split on me the other day.I'm going for copper lines.Got my own flaring kit.Any one know the bleed nipple and union nut sizes? It don't say in the TM's.Normally i use the old union nuts.But just in case i round or break one off.

papercu

Copper is a NO-NO for brake lines. There is Copper-nickel brake lines maybe that is what you mean?
How is the weather in merry old England and how much is your gas/diesel now? Wayne

tankie88

Of course i mean copper-nickel we just call it copper over here.Weather is ok the last few days.But we are slowly going into autum(fall for you guys).Diesel is anything from £1.38 to £1.42 a litre here.

truck1

When I installed my ORD 4" lift on my 1028,I had a few split flares on the old lines.NAPA sells SS lines in different lengths.Get a bender and duplicate the original lines.Pretty easy job.They also sell wire rapped lines if you would like to go OEM.I measured the OA length and bought a little longer and bent accordingly.Good luck.:grd:

highsiera

There are some prebent complete sets from classic tube and inline tube. Regular and stainless available. Clip kits and hoses ar extra. These are OE like kits wih springs and fit and look like originals. They are however pricey. I just bought a set for my 79 K35 and it was about $200. I received them in about 3 business days. Now if only installing them were that easy...keep in mind, the thread through the motor mount backets in the front ad along the insie frame rail with the fuel line(s). I decided to replace the distribution valve and the hoses also, everything was so old and corroded from years of use as a plow truck. On evening 3 now... and very little sense of accomplishment so far. Good luck if you decide to replace them all, but in your mind, you know soon or later you'll have to.

tankie88

Both offending pipes replaced this evening.Took me about 2 hours and i managed to use the old unions.Had to save up all me pocket money though for the Dot 5 silicone fluid.I thought it might come in a gold plated can...lol.