• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I'm having a problem with new Doghead Relay

Roc Rat

I believe this was the very first mod I did. The stock relay would get old and stick. The starter would run away. By the time you would be able to open your hood and disconnect the battery terminal your starter would be toast. This mod is one of the best things you can do when you first get a CUCV. General DogHead came up with this modification. Thanks Doghead.
A friend of mine had one that spontaneously tried to start,, by the time he got to it, the starter was on fire and burnt a bunch of wiring,, reason #1 for doing the Mod,,,

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The small purple with white, should get 12v with the key in the start position.

The large red, should have 24v with the key on.

The large purple, should have 24v with the key in the start position(if the small purple wire had 12v).

All the above tests, you should have the black lead of your meter on the small black wire.

Roc Rat

Correct me if I'm wrong,,, the military wants a CUCV,, something that commercial parts are available for,,, they buy a K5 Chevrolet Blazer,,, fine. Then they drop a 6.2 Detroit Diesel into it,,, but it takes more voltage to reliable crank it over,, so they have to up it to 24 Volt because it takes more to turn it over,, bump it to two 12 volt batteries,,, along with two alternators, but they want to keep the lighting 12 volt,, more complications. What have I missed?? I DON'T CARE,, I LOVE MY M1009! Scrubby as it is. There are others like it, but this one is mine! 8)

Has anyone ever wrote a book about these? I would BUY it in an instant!

Roc Rat

The small purple with white, should get 12v with the key in the start position.

The large red, should have 24v with the key on.

The large purple, should have 24v with the key in the start position(if the small purple wire had 12v).

All the above tests, you should have the black lead of your meter on the small black wire.
I will check these in the AM,, Thanks doghead.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It was outfitted with 24 volts to meet NATO standards.

o1951

Correct me if I'm wrong,,, the military wants a CUCV,, something that commercial parts are available for,,, they buy a K5 Chevrolet Blazer,,, fine. Then they drop a 6.2 Detroit Diesel into it,,, but it takes more voltage to reliable crank it over,, so they have to up it to 24 Volt because it takes more to turn it over! 8)

Has anyone ever wrote a book about these? I would BUY it in an instant!
Will start fine as 12 volt system with 12 volt starter and big battery or 2.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Fine maybe, but they definitely start better with a stock 24 volt starter.

o1951

Agree - anything starts better on 24 volts.
(DH - before your time, When 6 volt starters were the norm, that is about what they said about 12 volts)

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have several things with 6v starters still!

Roc Rat

Victory!! I crimped new connectors on the wires,, soldered all the crimps, heat shrunk tubing and covered all the connections with Plasti-Dip rubber insulator. Started right up for me. Put some new belts on the alternators,, and I'm done with that part of the project. Started it up and took it for a ride in the snowy back field. I still have to change the injectors, but that might wait for warmer weather. It still has the loud tick in the left rear cylinder and the fuel gauge isn't working, but at least it starts now,, and I'm gonna be a bit more relaxed that it won't start when not asked. Thanks for all the feedback guys,, looks good and works!!

Roc Rat

Yup,,, I got a new relay, but decided to try the old one after I redid the connectors and it was fine. I'm gonna keep the new one and put it into the box with all the other "spares",,, Gonna need a bigger box. I'd like to do the injectors but it looks a bit daunting,, especially the one on the left rear cylinder,, that steering shaft looks like its gonna be in the way.