• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I'm nervous

niferous

I keep seeing people saying that when they picked up their vehicle from gov liquidation it had been "molested". Should I be worried that the vehicle I bid on in pictures won't be as it was when I bid on it? Do people steal the spare tires, batteries, etc?

Cucvnut

mine came with everything including a bent drive shaft and some body damage from the fork lift :) from what i have read it really depends on the luck of the draw and the area your truck is located at.

3dubs

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best, and take what comes.

Being in Houston nothing is near enough to go check out. I used a transport company to get both of my trucks. If you by a truck and something is wrong then you post about it. But if the truck starts right up and drives like a gem you have nothing to post. If you post about how great your truck is you look silly. It is like the news only reports the bad stuff.

I would not recomend expecting to drive it home. Tires dry rot, there might be problems that are too much for an auto parts store parking lot. So either go with a trailer or hire a transport company. I have one in Oklahoma that was reasonable. The owner's son lives near Houston so he he is happy to drive down here. I used him for a truck from OK and one from MO. When I figured fuel cost round trip it was only a little more to ship it and i did not have to worry.

Ken_86gt

You really need to inspect the vehicle before you bid. Frequently the pictures posted are of the the wrong vehicle and the pictures do not show the problem areas. Mine had the wrong VIN number listed in the ad- and it followed over to the receipt/invoice. They would not fix the invoice either. GL is a company that sells stuff that they have bought from the government. They make more money if the truck sells for more money.

If you find the truck has been molested after the auction you can protest, and not buy the truck. If you never really looked at it you can't protest.

Last edited:

niferous

Yeah it's already been bought and it's in AL. Of course I looked at the pictures when I bid and looked at them hard. I didn't see anything that looked bad at all. Even the tires looked good. I just don't know how tight they are on security when other people come in to get something. I could see someone saying that truck has a spare but mine doesn't and just going and getting it if nobody is watching. I will print out the pictures and take them with me. Plus my truck had Optimas and I'm hoping those are in there when and if my EUC ever gets approved and I can go pick it up.

Ken_86gt

Bring print outs of the pictures, if there is a problem you could point it out on the spot. But, they will probably only give you the option of backing out of the sale. I think that it is fairly rare that the truck is tampered with after the sale.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd say there is at least a 75% chance it has a bent driveshaft. Last time I was at Redstone they must have had 50 CUCVs. I looked at every one of them and they all had a bent driveshaft.

bigflew

I got mine from redstone got it really cheep because it was non running. when i got there it started with a jump and to this day still runs great. also very little rust and no bent shafts. i know i was lucky but it hapens

Attachments

stampy

U pays your money and u takes your chances! With that said I have been EXCEEDINGLY lucky so far as all of mine had everything that I could see in the pictures and in a few cases some nice surprises. Mine are NC/VA/MD Trucks though.:-D

A-line

I am here In Alabama very close to RedStone. I purchased 4 M1008s a couple of years ago. 2 from La. 1 From Al and 1 from Ga. The one from Alabama was in good shape compared to the other ones. If you are picking this up, I have 2 M1008 Parts trucks here that you might be interested in looking at for parts that might be missing on yours. No drive shafts.

3dubs

Be careful of about the tires. You have no idea how old they are. They can look good but be dry-rotted. I picked up a trailer the tires looked great and I looked for cracks, but it only made maybe 15 miles before the tires came apart. They may be good but be prepared to replace them. I would inspect the tires real good then only drive a mile or so and recheck them. I would count on trailering it back to Houston to be safe. I hope things go good for you.

niferous

I have already bought some BFG All Terrains for it but I am bringing a trailer to tow it back. I'm just hoping I won't have to push it on the truck. As soon as I get it back here to Houston I will probably change the oil, get the driveshaft balanced, replace the hoses and belts, the tires, fuel filter, glow plug components, and check the pump before I ever really drive it any kind of distance. Of course if I win one of those trucks off of GL I won't do any of that since I'll be doing a Cummins 12 vlv swap :twisted:.

A-line,

Want to make a trip over there and tell me what's wrong so I can be ready when I get there? I'll compensate you for the time and miles of course!! :-D

SDF Troop

You really need to check them out before you bid. I was able to go over and inspect mine (M1009) before I won it. There were quite a few other CUCV that looked great from the pictures. Some turned out to be DOA and some of the crummy looking ones were drivable. The GL guys at Redstone try to give an accurate description but they can't check out all of them. If they say it runs, or starts with a jump then that's what it will do (usually). If they don't say one way or the other then it's a crap shoot as to what you get. I think the Colonel has given you some wise advice. "Hope for the best, prepare for the worst".

niferous

They said it runs so I assume it has a key and will start. There was no real way for me to check it out but I will go ahead and throw in a link to pictures so you guys can see what I saw. I plan on bringing some basic tools but I also plan on using a trailer to get it back. I have tires if I decide to go the tow bar route as well.

So I guess on the SF97 I can't fill it out until I actually pick the truck up?

Post with pictures: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/37769-yet-another-m1009-owner-houston-2.html#post415019

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks