• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I'm told don't go with a FMTV, go with a 2-1/2 Ton Deuce I like the new technology

DukeNukem

I'm told don't go with a FMTV, go with a 2-1/2 Ton Deuce
I like the new technology of the FMTV
I'm told they have more problems than the old Deuce though.
Your thoughts?

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Ehh, its like anything else, some like the old, some like the new.

I'd say they BOTH have their issues, but the fmtv is more expensive to fix with the Cat motor. More electrical issues too.

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They are not that bad to work on.
It depends on what part breaks to cost.
I absolutely enjoy the h ell out of mine.
There's no way I could go back to deuce.

Engineer 1SG

A lot depends on what you'll use the truck for. If you need a daily driver for heavy loads, you may prefer an automatic and the relatively higher power of the FMTV. If you'll only drive the truck occasionally in parades, nothing invokes nostalgia like the old deuce and a half, in my opinion. And while anybody can fix anything at any time (there're only machines, after all), the relative simplicity of the deuce makes repairs somewhat more achievable by the average person.

Reworked LMTV

I read somewhere that the FMTV, by the statistics, is 8 times more reliable than the older trucks.

I have learned that anything maybe of rubber or plastic on an LMTV is sure to need replacing. Never worked on a deuce, but probably the same in that department.

:tank:

Last edited:

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I read somewhere that the FMTV, by the statistics, is 1600 times more reliable than the older trucks.

I'd certainly want to read that myself. While anything mechanical/electrical can fail I highly doubt that any of the newer trucks are that more reliable than a Deuce.

No, this NOT saying I don't like the newer trucks or putting them down.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
As the lmtvs age like any other vehicle they can develop issues. Newer gen trucks have improvements on issues that the earlier trucks have/had. The military gets rid of the vehicles due to time in service or recurring issues. So you are not getting the cream of the crop at auction. I can believe the latest trucks are very reliable. The older trucks can be too it just takes a little extra work to get them there. And the lmtvs are much roomier, dryer inside and drive like a civilian road truck compared to the older trucks with hard suspension that bounce down the road without a load in the bed.

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've owned my M35A2 deuce and a half for over 7 years. If I could go back in time and tell myself to not get it and get something else, would I? ehhhhh, I'm not sure. I'm very happy with what I've learned about my truck working on it. I would not wish away knowledge and experience, however, I spent a lot of money and time for it.

What I do NOT like is:
- Single. Circuit. Brakes. (I realize that for certain older deuce's that this isn't a problem)
- Manual steering (stock)
- Weak parking brake (mine works _ok_ though)
- Manual Transmission (I realize this is subjective, to me, it just gets old living in large towns and higher populated areas and one more thing to think about/wear you out, and worry about the clutch going out randomly on a trip)
- Low top speed (typical MV problem though - it's not a big deal, but something you always have to plan way-ahead and allot the necessary time for)

I put a lot of time and money into making my truck better in some of these areas and others (marker lights, reverse lights, better driver seat, air-assist steering, filter upgrades etc) that newer trucks generally already have, which I'm sure helps contribute to the higher price tag of the newer trucks.

HOWEVER, local government laws DO make my old deuce desirable to me. With Utah Vintage Registration laws, my deuce is exempt from all emission and inspection requirements, and since it is over 40 years old the yearly registration fees are $20 ($10 state + $10 county). Registration/inspection/test problems is a very nice burden not to have.

So my suggestion is, if you prefer the newer technology, do as 98G said, GO FOR IT! But, without starting a government rant, I would temper your desire with knowledge of what you're getting into with your state/county/city requirements, laws, regulation, registration, fees and red-tape-processes.

Last edited:

snowtrac nome

I've been very happy with my lmtv it has given me every thing I want. A quiet smooth ride, a cab that doesn't leak, and air brakes for reliability. I cut my teeth on duces I could likely rebuild one in my sleep, and nothing matches the sound of a whistler multifuel. At the end of the day I liked the roomy cab of the lmtv better and I didn't want to deal with hydraulic brake maintenance, I boughta n lmtv and it works just fine.

FloridaAKM

I have both an LMTV & a couple of Deuces. My go to truck is the 87 Deuce for everything so far. The LMTV is awaiting a fellow SS member to sell/ship me a turrent cover to get the interior work completed & so on. The LMTV has acres of room in the cab & a much smoother ride, free brake fluid(Air), but fuel mileage is 1/2 that of the Deuce. There are positive & negative things on both trucks, it just matters about what you want to drive & work on. Sit down & make a list & you will find which truck is best for you, then you can go find one & buy it knowing what you are up against to start with.

Ue413

Owning one of each, an LMTV is one of the most pleasurable trucks to drive. My deuce is a work out and I'd be hard pressed to sign up driving 100 miles....both have been reliable.

TNriverjet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree that the FMTV/LMTV is comfortable and easy to drive. I really have enjoyed mine. I would be fine taking off on a long trip. I would only change the seats for long trips as the cab is already air-ride. I was able to ride and drive in several different MV's before making a decision. I but you could find someone fairly local here on SS who would allow you a... TEST DRIVE!

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Owning one of each, an LMTV is one of the most pleasurable trucks to drive. My deuce is a work out and I'd be hard pressed to sign up driving 100 miles....both have been reliable.
I drove my M35A2 more miles than most members have put on their trucks since they owned them. I did the drive from Atlanta to El Paso not just once but twice. I went from El Paso to Aberdeen. I did five trips from Fredrick MD to Atlanta and back within a few months time. Multiple trips from Atlanta to Aberdeen and Atlanta to Sussex NJ. On top of this I used it as a daily driver for about 4 months with a 35mile trip to work and 35 miles home each day. And many other trips I can't remember. A lot of the long distance trips I pulled a M1061 trailer. I had a box seat on about half of these and eventually was lucky enough to get a M35A3 seat and that improved things along with air assist power steering. Added M35A3 tires and rims also.

M35A2 is a more simplistic design and there are a lot of parts from parts vehicles out there. Downside is they are getting long in the tooth.

I've driven but never owned an LMTV. I drove an armored MTV from NY to Atlanta in 2 days. It rode nice. I drove an LMTV distances of less than 100 miles several times.

I had problems with some of the early models. My M35A2 and A3's were more reliable than the early model FMTV's. My experience from my prior life. As the support for the old trucks died away and the mechanics became more skilled with the FMTV's, things changed but it always seem to have to be towed to the shop to be worked on vs fixing it in the field. I had one truck that sat for over 4 months while mechanics chased electrical issues in the dash and I think we eventually turned it in vs actually fixing it as the uparmoreds became available.

I went from M60A3 to M1A1HA and M113A2 to M113A3 and M151 (to CUCV) to M1045 and M35A2 to M1078A1P2 and M813 to M1083A1P2 etc, etc.

Again, I stress my experience.

As another member put on here, it also depends on what you are using it for. Parades, I would prefer a M35. Daily driver and no electrical issues, FMTV.

The best truck I ever hand was a M923 slick model that we called Galloping Gertie. Never had an issue with it and drove it hard on numerous occasions. Only time she gave me a problem was when she was being driven to the turn-in point, the drivers side mirror and entire mount assembly suddenly broke away on a massive bump in the road. Guess she didn't want to go.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks