• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Important quick check on Starter mounting

springbok

I just had the motor replaced in my 1038 to a 6.5 and at some point the broke off the front mounting bracket of the starter.
I know it is a small and obscure little part but making sure that yours is installed and in good shape is more important than you know.
The bracket is at the front end of the starter and is mounted to the engine mount. A bolt in the front of the starter attaches to it.
Without this it leaves only two bolts holding a 70 lb starter with a ton of torque in place.
Needless to say, one bolt broke and the other bent...
One or two more starts and that would have resulted in a starter dragging the ground.
I was lucky and was able to easy out the broken bolt, lucky for me they don't know what loc-tight is...
Take 30 seconds, climb under and make sure that front bracket is in place..
Cheers...

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
DSC_00095.jpg
Here is the bracket...old style on the left, new style [ thicker ] on right

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Loose starter bolts in general is a known issue in the HMMWV and Hummer H1 world....just like Halfshaft bolts, that another check torque monthly item....and upgrade the rear support bracket to the "Hook" type.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks