• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Importing M35A2 into Canada

JustAlex

Hello Everyone,

I’m new to the forum and I have been searching on here and on Google and still can’t find the concrete answer. What is the process to import a M35A2 into Canada. All I know I have to contact CBP 72hrs prior to bringing the vehicle across and I’ve also read about the EUC. Does every M35A2 come with one?

I’m looking at purchasing a deuce on the west coast and drive it back home to Canada.

Thanks for the help,
Alex

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello Everyone,

I’m new to the forum and I have been searching on here and on Google and still can’t find the concrete answer. What is the process to import a M35A2 into Canada. All I know I have to contact CBP 72hrs prior to bringing the vehicle across and I’ve also read about the EUC. Does every M35A2 come with one?

I’m looking at purchasing a deuce on the west coast and drive it back home to Canada.

Thanks for the help,
Alex
I bought and imported mine a long time ago and the process has changed. Essentially, now you have to use a customs broker to access the electronic customs system and get a notification number (AES) before you can get the export inspection on the US side done.
Self-importing a vehicle has been made more complicated than giving CBP 72h notice, a copy of the title and then showing up.
There are companies that offer this service and it may be a good idea to talk to them. The border is less and less a place where individuals are welcome to do personal business...

If you absolutely want to treat yourself to the whole process, perhaps start here:

As for the EUC, this has no relevance in Canada. The EUC is a SELLER'S document and usually needed by commercial resellers of military hardware to demonstrate to Uncle Sam that they do not sell stuff to unfriendly people or nations. Canada, last I checked, was a US ally.

Also, make darn sure that your Province will issue a registration for the Deuce before you import. A smooth import is no guarantee for registration. Also, if you intend to drive the truck, you need to sort out insurance and temporary plates. Insurance is usually ok, but plates can be quite the challenge....
In the US, the state may not want to give you a temporary permit because you are not a resident or because the vehicle moves out of state. They will suggest that you need to get a trip permit from the province you intend to register the vehicle. Your province may tell you (as mine did), that the vehicle needs to be physically present in the province to receive a trip permit. See the challenge?
So - check online for the State you are buying from. I bought a classic semi tractor from VT a couple years ago and that state issued me a trip permit, no issues. 11 bucks, I think.
I also say that, for this import, I had one of the car import companies handle all the paperwork. All I needed to do was be at the border on a certain day at a certain time. I could not be arsed today to jump through all the hoops, figure out every detail of this process and get the paperwork in order all by myself. For me, paying someone in the know a few bucks hurts way less than being stuck at the border for a day, trying to sort things out! Your mileage may vary.

Sent from my SM-G991W using Tapatalk

Last edited:

JustAlex

I bought and imported mine a long time ago and the process has changed. Essentially, now you have to use a customs broker to access the electronic customs system and get a notification number (AES) before you can get the export inspection on the US side done.
Self-importing a vehicle has been made more complicated than giving CBP 72h notice, a copy of the title and then showing up.
There are companies that offer this service and it may be a good idea to talk to them. The border is less and less a place where individuals are welcome to do personal business...

If you absolutely want to treat yourself to the whole process, perhaps start here:

As for the EUC, this has no relevance in Canada. The EUC is a SELLER'S document and usually needed by commercial resellers of military hardware to demonstrate to Uncle Sam that they do not sell stuff to unfriendly people or nations. Canada, last I checked, was a US ally.

Also, make darn sure that your Province will issue a registration for the Deuce before you import. A smooth import is no guarantee for registration. Also, if you intend to drive the truck, you need to sort out insurance and temporary plates. Insurance is usually ok, but plates can be quite the challenge....
In the US, the state may not want to give you a temporary permit because you are not a resident or because the vehicle moves out of state. They will suggest that you need to get a trip permit from the province you intend to register the vehicle. Your province may tell you (as mine did), that the vehicle needs to be physically present in the province to receive a trip permit. See the challenge?
So - check online for the State you are buying from. I bought a classic semi tractor from VT a couple years ago and that state issued me a trip permit, no issues. 11 bucks, I think.
I also say that, for this import, I had one of the car import companies handle all the paperwork. All I needed to do was be at the border on a certain day at a certain time. I could not be arsed today to jump through all the hoops, figure out every detail of this process and get the paperwork in order all by myself. For me, paying someone in the know a few bucks hurts way less than being stuck at the border for a day, trying to sort things out! Your mileage may vary.

Hi thanks for the reply! That clears it up very well and I appreciate it!

Cheers!
Alex

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks