• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Improve fuel efficiency in my M1009

I'm sure being in Alaska, you have a higher altitude/cold weather blend of fuel most (or all) of the year...which usually packs less of a punch than standard warm weather fuel. Vehicles in places that switch between summer and winter blends of gas and diesel experience worse fuel mileage running on the winter blend.

Plus, just starting, and warming up the truck in the cold takes more fuel. There is just less movement and more friction in general when it's cold.

SAFD3160

I am new to this website, and for some reason I cant figure out how to start a thread. :???: But since we are on the discussion of mpg... how would I increase mpg on my m1008? Still has the turbo 400 and 4:56 gears. i was told a 700r4 and 3:08 gears. is that a good option? How much more mpg will that possibly net me?

You don't buy a CUCV for the mileage. Buy a prius. That being said, it will cost you way more in mods to appreciate a significant difference than the cost of fuel over time. Keep your filters clean, the weight off of your rig, and your foot off the right button. Live at low altitude and drive flat. There's not a whole lot you can do outside of my suggestions. A 6.2 is a 6.2.

hunderliggur

I started a year ago at 19-20 mpg, now it s 17-18. I attribute most of the change to the right button and foam ear plugs. I think I'll back it off10mph for the next week and see what happens. I have a 47 mile one way commute, 40+ of that on highways. M1009

I am new to this website, and for some reason I cant figure out how to start a thread. :???: But since we are on the discussion of mpg... how would I increase mpg on my m1008? Still has the turbo 400 and 4:56 gears. i was told a 700r4 and 3:08 gears. is that a good option? How much more mpg will that possibly net me?
In a M1008 3.73 or 4.10 gears with a 700R4 would be great. The overdrive really helps on the the highway, and the 1st gear is lower than a TH400 so it gets the truck moving a little easier (which is better for city MPG's). I'd think with a 700R4 and 3.08's you'd be lugging quite a bit in overdrive, plus you can't even get 3.08's in a D60 or 14b axle.

Also, welcome from Wisco. Where abouts are you located?

chainsaw

IMPROVING MY ROTTEN 13.2 MPG on CUCV

Yes, I feel I have the right to whine about the mileage of my M1009. Before I replaced the injector pump, had it timed and vib dampener replaced I was getting around 11.5 mpg. Now driving like grandma, I get a whopping 13.2. What's up? It runs and starts great, no missing, no smoke, 68k miles with little wear on interior, rebuilt both alternators, brakes aren't rubbing and I am on mostly level surface roads. Mix of stop/go and longer range driving, but always 13.2 now:roll:. I already replaced the fuel filter, and although the air filter looks okay, I will also replace it. Diesel shop checked it out and gave it clean bill of health. There is no cold air pipe to the filter, but most cucvs don't appear to have them. Next, I'm thinking of replacing all of the injectors and glowplugs, but before I spend the time and $$, is there anything that I missed? I'd be thrilled to get 16-18 at least, which is one reason I bought it. Thanks for any feedback.

nyoffroad

Timeing off, winter fuel, tire pressure, tire tread, tire side wall flex, cold weather=cold thick gear oil, tranny slipping, tourqe converter not locking ectect. There's a million things that work for/against MPG

donalloy1

Yes, I feel I have the right to whine about the mileage of my M1009. Before I replaced the injector pump, had it timed and vib dampener replaced I was getting around 11.5 mpg. Now driving like grandma, I get a whopping 13.2. What's up? It runs and starts great, no missing, no smoke, 68k miles with little wear on interior, rebuilt both alternators, brakes aren't rubbing and I am on mostly level surface roads. Mix of stop/go and longer range driving, but always 13.2 now:roll:. I already replaced the fuel filter, and although the air filter looks okay, I will also replace it. Diesel shop checked it out and gave it clean bill of health. There is no cold air pipe to the filter, but most cucvs don't appear to have them. Next, I'm thinking of replacing all of the injectors and glowplugs, but before I spend the time and $$, is there anything that I missed? I'd be thrilled to get 16-18 at least, which is one reason I bought it. Thanks for any feedback.
chainsaw, by the sound of it our O9's are twins! I can milk 16+mpg out of mine on freeway. Normally around town best I can muster is 13.2. Have also been given clean bill of health. I to think something is up. People here getting 20+ mpg out of O9's. Just cannot figure how we can be that far off the 20+mpg mark and everything is in working order. Fuels blends have been mentioned a few times. I am in California hmmm? The land of expensive fuel and additives for clean air.

rsh4364

My 85 1009 with k&n airfilt. 3" mufflers and tails,33x10.5x15 bfgs gets 15mpg in winter and 20mpg in summer.Leads me to believe maybe my thermostat is not right.Im switching it out today to a 195 thermostat,also gonna pull fuel return checkvalve as I think I need a rebuilt IP,and I have to change a leaking brake line on rear,Just waiting for Browns To Do Something!

scottladdy

How are you checking miles traveled? If you are using the truck's odometer, could it be off showing less miles traveled than actual?

I am getting 20+ MPG in my M1009. I use a GPS and also online mapping to validate the odometer is in the ballpark.

rsh4364

My 85 1009 with k&n airfilt. 3" mufflers and tails,33x10.5x15 bfgs gets 15mpg in winter and 20mpg in summer.Leads me to believe maybe my thermostat is not right.Im switching it out today to a 195 thermostat,also gonna pull fuel return checkvalve as I think I need a rebuilt IP,and I have to change a leaking brake line on rear,Just waiting for Browns To Do Something!
Well Browns did what they normally do, Lost,and I had same success rate on my projects.

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My M1009 milage

14.25 mpg HWY-Pulling M101 A2 Trailer
15.5 mpg City
16.0 mpg Hwy
Speeds: 60-73

lindsaym

My M1009 milage

14.25 mpg HWY-Pulling M101 A2 Trailer
15.5 mpg City
16.0 mpg Hwy
Speeds: 60-73
I'm somewhere in the Vic. of 16-17 Highway. It's pretty much a straight shot from home to work on the highway so I don't even worry about city. Seems to get a little worse in winter, probably because I'm using 4WD more. No leaky IP, though. Maybe that's just all I'm going to get out of her...

Csm Davis

Also guys jack up your front end and make sure your lockout hubs are working I have found that about half of mine 10 trucks had one or both hubs stuck some on free and some on lock, one bad enough that it had to be replaced.

Brett09

My 2cents. I've always tried to drive around peak torque and not lug the engine.
Engine compression is one area I'd look into. Lowered compression can effect the burn.
Injection pump is another. If the pump isn't giving the full pressure is can effect the spray pattern on the injector.
Injectors are on I haven't seen yet. If the injector is worn, damaged or dirty is can dramatically effect the way the fuel is burnt. When it comes to diesels the spray pattern and duration are key in power and economy.
Timing is another. Some diesel motors come a bit retarded to meet smog requirements at the time. In some cases you can advance it some to help with MPG and a better burn.
Torque converter is another area that can be a huge loss in both power transfer and economy.
Tires, under inflation can rob fuel mileage. Aggressive tires and also effect rolling resistance. Weight is another thing to consider. Big heavy tires will cost you economy even if you change the gear. Even thought the ratio might be the same there is still added weight that has to account for.
Speed is a big one too. These truck are like driving a huge shoe box down the road. Wind resistance can account for a large amount of power/fuel going down the road.

The best thing I did for economy was a turbo and a clean tune. No rolling coal here.

Here's a couple tools I used to figure out the best speed to drive. All of this is my opinion and take it with a grain of salt.

http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html

https://www.google.com/search?q=6.2...ower.com%2Fproducts%2Fshow%2F156%2F11;417;382